So Who's Better?? You or your kid???

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Okay so here's the thing.

I've been in a position lately to observe some parents who had children that followed in their footsteps ... musically that is. Heard several observations like, "I think I remember being able to do that ...." "Was I that bad at that age?" " Gues I remember being over playing at that point in my life..."

All said in good fun of course and by very proud parents. Even by the ones who had kids that just didn't have the chops but they were having fun and trying.

Besides we all want the best for our offfspring .... But let's be real ...

If you have a child doing music and not necessarily drums/percussion .... are they better than you now? Better trained? Better musicianship? Everything comes easier for them? Things like that.

My older son is not a musician and doesn't want to be one but his appreciation of music, all genres and the talent that goes with performing well is as strong as mine .... He's just not interested in playing an instrument ... He's a better mechanic than me though! My late younger son probably would have been better than me in that he was heading toward being a multi-instrument player and would have had a better theory and construction background.

Just curious.

Robb

jaybeez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My son is waaaaay better than me. He is a classically trained pianist who just qualified for level 9 in the California Certificate of Merit, after breaking down an insanely complicated Rachmaninoff piece for the evaluator. Several years ago, I put him on my kit in hopes of improving his tempo. Mission accomplished, and now he's 16, an amazing keyboardist, and fantastic drummer. I'm not in the least bit jealous, and so happy he has proficiency in instruments that will serve him for years to come. It's all good.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I'm a better drummer. He saw too much music business and decided hockey was his way. He's a way better hockey player than I ever was. BTW: He still loves music. And car audio.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My son. And my daughter.

I have the stronger R&R backbeat, but my son can play more styles, understands music more completely and is in the process of writing and recording an "album" (or whatever they call it today) with one of his music buddies. He's playing in 5 or 6 bands in college (school's jazz ensemble, and then non-school bands: jazz quartet, a Pixies cover band, a Joy Division cover band, an original project plus he's the "go to" drummer for any folkie who wants a band behind them), and he's got a level head on his shoulders, which was something I didn't have as a 19 year old.

My daughter is mainly a pianist, but she started playing percussion in 4th grade with the school band. She played kit a little bit, but really focused on orchestral percussion. We used to have the high school's marimba in our living room every summer so she could practice. As a 6th grader she was musician of the year, and during high school she was either #1 or #2 percussionist in the highest ensemble, and she was the lead percussionist in the All-State band, for which she had to audition.

Both of them can read really well, and I think they were both lucky to have my wife and I as parents: she started them on piano each at age 4, and I did everything I could to encourage their drumming (found teachers, went to clinics, etc). It's great to have this interest to share.

Bugford

DFO Master
Reaction score
My kid's a drummer and on his best day I would wipe the floor with him. I wish.

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine's only 5.. so for now, I'm better. Not for long, though - she's not really a prodigy, I just suck.
"-)

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I taught our oldest son, Peter, to play drums and bass guitar by ear as I am self-taught on both. He likes drums but loves the bass. He has great timing and can keep some tough drum patterns but has trouble with fills. I taught him how to listen to music and hear what the bass player is doing and how to play along with the bass player on CDs.

He asked me if I could teach him everything on Black Sabbath's Master of Reality CD. Although I own the CD, I didn't care for it. It took me about 3 weeks of trial and error to figure it all out and it took Peter about 2 weeks to learn it all from me. It was a turning point for him. To see the joy on his face as he played along to the whole CD note for note was a high point in my life as well. He is a very good bass player and he now uses the ear training technique I taught him to figure out and teach the Lead guitar parts to their band's guitarist.

Master of Reality is such an old obscure CD that is kind of harsh and oppressive but I've come to like it because of the father/son thing that came from it. We even named our puppy Geezer (for Geezer Butler- Sabbath's bass player). Peter hasn't needed my help on bass for a while. H started on the bass at age 13 and left me in the dust by age 17. He's 21 now. It's both nice and a bummer to see your kid pass you by on something. I still dust the floor with him on drums. I bought him a Gretsch 6 piece maple drumset for his birthday last year. In November I gave him a bass amp: (a cab with a 15 and a horn, a cab with 4 10s and a horn, and a 500 watt Hartke head).

Our other three sons are not interested in playing instruments.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, as an adult son of a drummer, I say my Dad is better. I consider myself a hobbyist/weekend warrior and pretty good rock drummer but he is a true pro. He's been playing since the 50's, has had a couple of very long house gigs (4-6 nights a week for 6 & 8 years and still plays. He has fantastic technique a deep, deep pocket and he's a very good soloist.

Den

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's an odd look at this. I never had the good fortune of having a child. I have often wondered about this. If I had a kid or more, would they have been in on the talent pool. All throughout my life I have had good luck with being able to understand and make music with multiple instruments (not having mastered any). Almost all my siblings were also able to appreciate and play different instruments as well...not to mention my parents were gifted musicians. It's a family thing, it runs in the genes.

I would love to be able to know that had I had a child if they would share in the talent or surpass me musically.

No one will ever know I guess. My sister and and brothers have had kids that were (in my eyes) somewhat forced into honing their talents. They've done very well in the arts and music programs during their school years, and I have enjoyed watching THEM develop throughout the years.

My girlfriend's children express an interest in playing musical instruments, especially her second oldest son, Tyler (15). I cannot keep him away from my new digital piano. I love to see this interest he shows, and he does prove that he can learn if he wants to. I just let him play whenever he wants, because he sees it AS playing. Somehow I knew that by just having this piano in the house that the kids would fight over it. If they have questions I have some answers, and I pretty much leave it at that. I encourage him to play whenever he feels like it, because I know that's how I learned. I think he may very well do good to learn a few things other than pressing buttons on a game controller!

art

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My daughter is way better. She took Piano lessons most of Her life and when She sits at a Drum kit She makes love to it. She reads music and sings in the chorus at school. Quite talented.I am blessed to have Her.

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper
Reaction score
Musical ability isn't really a family thing as far as I can tell. My parents aren't musicians. In my whole extended family that I have contact with, my brother and I are the only musicians out of 10 other cousins, 6 aunts and 4 uncles. I don't know about my brother, but I had to make a conscious effort at first to make music work, it never "came naturally" to me, although people now tell me that my playing is very natural. If I have children, I'll waste no time getting them on the drums - I think there would be no prouder moment than when they can surpass me in playing.

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am a better drummer, as vocalists we are close, he is a better musician since he plays guitar, bass and drums.

My parents could not afford all of the gear that is available to my son. All he has to do is go to the basement
and voila everything he needs is available, instruments, amps, p.a. and recording gear.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a better drummer than my four year old daughter. I do however think she is going to win American Idol one day!

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
These are all really great answers ... I'm glad that some of y'all branched out into other areas. I should have been a little more open with the catagory I guess.

My ex wife, mother of both my sons, and I never pushed the boys toward a musical mode. They were highly exposed to it as she and I had the stereo going all the time and my older son started out as a roadie for me ... we had matching black Ludwig windbreakers for a long time but he left his at a gig and it wasn't long after that when he stopped going.

Yet, sometimes things just don't go the way of the parents. I have a good friend and photography mentor who has 2 boys and a girl and neither of the kids has any real desire to be even a hobbyist photographer. I guess that they just got tired of having it all around their house and lives all the time since my friend was one of the best in the state and his wife one of the best retouch artists around.

Robb

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Just another way to twist this question...

My wife is a better singer than I am a drummer. She was only in one band from 1992 to 94. She wants nothing to do with being in a band anymore, she says it's too much work.

She said she got tired of practicing, helping haul equipment in and out of the clubs then only getting a few bucks for her trouble.

There's any number of bands that would kill to have her front them with her vocals, she's too old for American Idol but she's the total package, she can dance, she's got soul and rhythm, she can hold a note and stay on key, she can harmonize with anybody, her stage presense and ability to act in the moment of the song is always spot on.

I twisted her arm a couple years ago and asked her to audition for a band that was looking for a new female lead singer. The drummer in the band was DFO's own "Archt".

Archt could vouch for the singing ability this woman has. But to sum it up... She's got more talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body.

If you ask me though...she's a waste of talent.

Scott

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just another way to twist this question...

My wife is a better singer than I am a drummer. She was only in one band from 1992 to 94. She wants nothing to do with being in a band anymore, she says it's too much work.

She said she got tired of practicing, helping haul equipment in and out of the clubs then only getting a few bucks for her trouble.

There's any number of bands that would kill to have her front them with her vocals, she's too old for American Idol but she's the total package, she can dance, she's got soul and rhythm, she can hold a note and stay on key, she can harmonize with anybody, her stage presense and ability to act in the moment of the song is always spot on.

I twisted her arm a couple years ago and asked her to audition for a band that was looking for a new female lead singer. The drummer in the band was DFO's own "Archt".

Archt could vouch for the singing ability this woman has. But to sum it up... She's got more talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body.

If you ask me though...she's a waste of talent.

Scott
Scott, she sounds amazing. I too am blessed to have a musical wife, and we get to do music together regularly at church. Without making a religious statement one way or another, have you guys thought about a situation like that, where likely there would be little practice (maybe once a month if you're singing or playing once a month) and no haul-in or out?

Latest posts