header.nohb.html

So why don't people like the Recording Custom Bass Drum???

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a question about the older Recording Custom bass drums (not the newly rehashed ones that just came out). I have read many posts saying that the bass drums on the older MIJ Recording Customs are the "weak link" on these kits. What about it is/was lacking? I have a 14x22 RC bass drum that I just cut new edges on (replicated the original edge) and it sounds really good. It's currently got an Aquarian SK1 batter with a ported Regulator reso head on it and its got plenty of thump. These are not my preferred heads of choice, but with a quick bit of tuning I was able to dial in some really nice low end thump with a controlled amount of "boom". As I learned quickly, these heads don't do well with higher tunings. Turning up the reso only choked the drum. But a looser reso head with a relatively low tuning on the batter opened it up and gave it some grunt. I would imaging an Emad batter with an EQ4 reso would really give the drum lots of tuning options without choking it off.

I guess with my experience using this drum, I'm trying to find the shortcomings that many people talk about when they discuss the older Recording Custom kits. What has been your experience with these bass drums? Good, bad, average? Why does it get a bad rap?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the older kicks just didn't have the thump I was going for. The newer kick with the roundover edges do. Plain and simple. BTW, I've had three older RC kits Y.E.S.S. and pre.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All my older RC kicks were just barely "ok" until I put a full head on the front. They ALL sounded really great after that.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DanRH said:
To me, the older kicks just didn't have the thump I was going for. The newer kick with the roundover edges do. Plain and simple. BTW, I've had three older RC kits Y.E.S.S. and pre.
Hmm, well I replicated the original edges with my new cuts, so I can't say that a more rounded edge profile is giving this drum more oomph than it had previously.

35714935352_337b0c74b8_c.jpg

But I do know how a more generous roundover edge lends itself to a fatter tone out of the drum. What seems strange to me is that the new RC edges are done with a really steep 60 degree edge (Yamaha calls it a 30 degree) with a rather small rounded peak at the apex. My MIJ RC's had an offset double 45 with a gently rounded apex. Head to shell contact actually seems just a bit more with the old RC's than with the new. I haven't inspected the edges on a new RC yet, but from the Yamaha website, they look to be more extreme than the older edges. I can see that leading to more attack, volume and head sustain, but I don't see how it leads to a fatter tone.

What heads were you using on your MIJ Recording Customs? These Aquarians are just what came with the kit and I havent experimented with other heads just yet, but "fat and thumpy" is something they seem to be excelling at.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Rhyma Hop said:
All my older RC kicks were just barely "ok" until I put a full head on the front. They ALL sounded really great after that.
Totally agree here. My RC kick ('85) sounded night and day better with a full reso with no port.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RedRaider said:
Totally agree here. My RC kick ('85) sounded night and day better with a full reso with no port.

Yeah they are seriously great sounding with a full reso.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed this with other birch bass drums as well. They don't seem to resonate as much as maple, where you can still get some serious low-end with a ported reso. The port effect of lessening resonance seems to be enhances with birch. Add the giant holes of the early RCs, and you're left with a clicky, flat sound.
Add a full reso, tune the drum up a bit and it's a full sound. Even some extra low-end compared to other drums.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, its not so much that the drum itself is a dudd, but the giant ported reso head that used to come on the drum was the issue?

1986_yamaha_catalog_3.jpg

thewedge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy D said:
Hmm, well I replicated the original edges with my new cuts, so I can't say that a more rounded edge profile is giving this drum more oomph than it had previously.

35714935352_337b0c74b8_c.jpg

But I do know how a more generous roundover edge lends itself to a fatter tone out of the drum. What seems strange to me is that the new RC edges are done with a really steep 60 degree edge (Yamaha calls it a 30 degree) with a rather small rounded peak at the apex. My MIJ RC's had an offset double 45 with a gently rounded apex. Head to shell contact actually seems just a bit more with the old RC's than with the new. I haven't inspected the edges on a new RC yet, but from the Yamaha website, they look to be more extreme than the older edges. I can see that leading to more attack, volume and head sustain, but I don't see how it leads to a fatter tone.

What heads were you using on your MIJ Recording Customs? These Aquarians are just what came with the kit and I havent experimented with other heads just yet, but "fat and thumpy" is something they seem to be excelling at.
RC kicks are fantastic...made for mics. Those are not identical edges BTW

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that sounds like the reason. I do, however, still LOVE the kit in that ad!!!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 24" RC is great, as was the 22" I had. I agree the big centered ported hole on the stock reso heads takes away the oomph.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thewedge said:
Those are not identical edges BTW
The shallow focus and the contrast differences from the color of the freshly cut wood does play with the way the new edge looks in the image. Trust me, its identical.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I think the RC kick is just fine, have owned quite a few and have one kit form the 90s with the reg front head.
I have used a few different heads, evans, Aquarian and still by my old stand by pinstripe with remo muff, yep call me old fashioned.

I use that 90s kit once a yr, 22x14 10x8 12x8 14x14 for a swing jazz gig and then a rock gig, no issues at all. Usually use a 3 piece.
all in front of a festival crowd.

IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0138.JPG

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The RC bass drum in 22 or 24 size is great. I've had a 24 and currently have a 22. I love mine. Fat juicy Steve Gadd sound. Mine are the pre-Yess, so I guess they're kind of vintage now.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used one with an offset 4" port at the 4 o'clock position and it rumbled and thumped just fine. The center huge hole cutout kills the rumble, but the mic'd sound is fine.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thewedge said:
Ok looks like the new one pushed the crest in a ply but may be the light.
Its definitely the shallow focus and light that's throwing the image off. Here are 2 other shots at a lower angle. Again the focus is just the slightest bit different between the two (slightly back focused on the before and slightly front focused on the after), so they may look just a touch different, but they are the same. Not bad photos for a cell phone though.

35848115406_2dea35b035_c.jpg

35501013120_3d310c970f_c.jpg

thewedge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a new series edge...substantially sharper. Surprised me.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 77

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since last year I have played on most of the different models and sizes of the RC and as I have bought AND sold three different RC kits because of the kick, I LOVE the new RC. It just has more of everything (especially on the players side, which I find very important)