So you're shopping for a new 14x6.5" brass snare [UPDATE: purchase made]

Monday317

Reaction score
And it's gonna be your first and only brass snare! So what do you get?

The Black Beauty seems to be the benchmark, but I see people saying good things about Yamaha, Pearl and others...

Criteria:
- New
- Brass
- At/near 6.5" depth
- Budget US$900

(Reasons: poor 2nd hand market in Australia; I have 5" steel, 5.5" birch and 7" maple snares; I'm not made of money).

Hit me with your wisdom!
There's a great site, DrumFactoryDirect that offers great drums that will match the BB (former owner) at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
I have a great black nickel over brass tama, DW nickel over brass and slingerland COB all 6.5x14. All excellent drums.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig hammered brass from the 80’s.

BNK

Reaction score
I love that people are still throwing out suggestions after the OP let everyone know he bought a black beauty! ;)
Ten years from now someone may stumble onto this thread in their quest for the perfect 14x6.5" brass snare and appreciate as many recommendations as possible.

And of course, someone will, (A) give the person crap for drudging up an old thread and (b) tell them to use the search function next time.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do the newer BB’s have rod splay? I have a 6.5x14 from I think 2010 with splay. That’s something to be aware of, although IMO the drum sounds great even if the rods are a slightly diagonal to the shell.
For aesthetic reasons, I would like to fix it if possible but I have never heard of anyone fixing rod splay.Anyone know if this can be done?

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Do the newer BB’s have rod splay? I have a 6.5x14 from I think 2010 with splay. That’s something to be aware of, although IMO the drum sounds great even if the rods are a slightly diagonal to the shell.
For aesthetic reasons, I would like to fix it if possible but I have never heard of anyone fixing rod splay.Anyone know if this can be done?
No splay on mine (2020 manufacture, hot out of the oven) but I went for imperial lugs and I think the splay issues were associated with tube lugs...?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Quick question: Is the P-88 a bolt-on replacement for any drum with a P-85? I'd like to lose the P-85s on all of my Ludwig snares. They're such ungraceful strainers. I want smooth action, smooth turning knobs...basically I want the technology of 2020 on my Ludwig snares!
Unless you want to keep it all Ludwig, I wholeheartedly recommend the INDe strainer. Simple, elegant and you can put it on almost any snare drum if you have one that needs a strainer.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a NOB Pork Pie in that size. EXCELLENT. I only have a Pearl Brass Sensitone to compare it to. Both have been mentioned and both are GREAT for their price. I got each at about $250, both used.
What are your thoughts comparing the two?

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Same here. Born date: March 10, 2020. No splay, though the camera lens may contradict that in this pic.

View attachment 453687
Nice! Pretty sure mine is March too, though I don't have it handy to check.

In mine the info label is affixed crookedly to the inside of the shell. Tempted to start a thread to canvass views on the appropriate response.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
No splay on mine (2020 manufacture, hot out of the oven) but I went for imperial lugs and I think the splay issues were associated with tube lugs...?
The lugs on mine are Imperial as well. I guess Ludwig had too many complaints and eventually did something about it. Maybe they were losing sales.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
The lugs on mine are Imperial as well. I guess Ludwig had too many complaints and eventually did something about it. Maybe they were losing sales.
Bummer. Depending on the splay you could remove/replace/add to the gaskets or try different hoops, but those options are probably overkill if the problem is only cosmetic.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bummer. Depending on the splay you could remove/replace/add to the gaskets or try different hoops, but those options are probably overkill if the problem is only cosmetic.
I’m fairness of comparison, I haven’t heard my BB next to one that doesn’t have rod splay. The other one might sound a little better for all I know, but I’ve been more than happy with the sound of mine. I’ve heard other BB’s but never right next to my drum.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I’m fairness of comparison, I haven’t heard my BB next to one that doesn’t have rod splay. The other one might sound a little better for all I know, but I’ve been more than happy with the sound of mine. I’ve heard other BB’s but never right next to my drum.
It's hard to imagine it'd make any difference to the sound. Whereas the "solutions" I suggested probably would.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I purposely avoid purchasing any snare drums with tube lugs for this sort of reason. The tube lug snares that I’ve owned before (none were Ludwig) had all kinds of issues, the only exception being the Pork Pie BoB. That was a great tube lug snare. (Plus, I just don’t like the way tube lugs look anymore. Though that may have been influenced by my bad experiences with them.)

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone fixing rod splay. Anyone know if this can be done?
AFAIK, originally the lug splay with Ludwig drums came from using imported 2.3mm hoops with larger "ears". Later they added rubber gaskets under the lugs, which reduced the splay.
You could try using thinner 1.6mm hoops, or finding other hoops with holes closer to the shell.