So you're shopping for a new 14x6.5" brass snare [UPDATE: purchase made]

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts comparing the two?
Well, I've literally had the Pork Pie for about a week. I didn't change any tuning. . .the Pearl has good low volume sensitivity ( I have it tuned higher while the Pork is tuned in the middle somewhere). . .The Pork Pie sounds, big. And, it is bigger--6.5 depth to my Pearl's 5/5.5 I like them both. The Sensitone has more resonance for sure.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a Preimer hammered black brass. I scored it new off of eBay a few years back for $250. It sounds amazing and is always included in my top snare rotation. Every time I put it back on the snare stand it puts a huge smile on my face.
I don't know if they make a smooth brass version, but I love the sound even with the hammering.

IMG_2304.jpg

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
AFAIK, originally the lug splay with Ludwig drums came from using imported 2.3mm hoops with larger "ears". Later they added rubber gaskets under the lugs, which reduced the splay.
You could try using thinner 1.6mm hoops, or finding other hoops with holes closer to the shell.
Well I’ve lived with it up to now so it doesn’t have to be changed, but it would be a little nicer looking and might possibly change the sound a little.

I know thinner hoops would change the sound but there might be something out there that’s 2.3 mm with holes closer to the shell as you mention. Maybe calling around to drum shops that know of this issue would be a good idea, if they’ve dealt with this for a number of drummers.

It’s a thing only I will notice and I’ll probably never hear a comment from anyone about, but it might bother my light OCD just enough that I’ll change it.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I can’t say enough good things about Pork Pie Patina brass (any PP brass really)... Beautiful drum with a great, warm sound. Love it. Hell, you can get a 13” and 14” for the price of one BB. If you want to be talked out of the BB, DONT DO IT! Everyone has one, and there’s so many cooler options nowadays. There’s no magic there, it’s just a consistently good snare drum that’s been heard a lot. Go with a badass modern drum that’s more your signature than everybody else’s. My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

I don’t know what availability is like in Australia, but you can’t think about a high end metal snare without including George Way and Dunnett...

I’m pretty sure Oriollo ships worldwide - definitely worth a look if you’re wanting a very special seamless spun metal drum.

Pork Pie, Way, Dunnett, Oriollo, INDe... They’d all make my brass snare short list. The Brooklyn COB is a nice drum too, and a helluva bargain.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I can’t say enough good things about Pork Pie Patina brass (any PP brass really)... Beautiful drum with a great, warm sound. Love it. Hell, you can get a 13” and 14” for the price of one BB. If you want to be talked out of the BB, DONT DO IT! Everyone has one, and there’s so many cooler options nowadays. There’s no magic there, it’s just a consistently good snare drum that’s been heard a lot. Go with a badass modern drum that’s more your signature than everybody else’s. My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

I don’t know what availability is like in Australia, but you can’t think about a high end metal snare without including George Way and Dunnett...

I’m pretty sure Oriollo ships worldwide - definitely worth a look if you’re wanting a very special seamless spun metal drum.

Pork Pie, Way, Dunnett, Oriollo, INDe... They’d all make my brass snare short list. The Brooklyn COB is a nice drum too, and a helluva bargain.
Thanks champ. The Pork Pie patina brass was the one that first caught my eye and reminded me that I've wanted a brass snare for ages. Unfortunately PP aren't in stores here and I eventually leaned away from patina/raw brass towards plated.

Inde never replied to my query about international shipping. CORRECTION: Inde did reply, it went to my spam folder. Apologies and thanks Josh for your responsiveness - and for offering me a deal!

Oriollo seems to tick most of my boxes, but unfortunately the first mention of them came in a bit late and international shipping might have been an issue again (I think they hang out here so maybe they can answer that for the record).

I totally hear you about developing my own sound. I've been diversifying my gear lately to suit the different bands I play in - I'm very much about playing for the song and adapting to the sound so this makes sense to me. If/when I play less down the track I'll probably pare things back to the personal essentials.

Last edited:

Drumskillz

Reaction score
I would highly recommend INDe drums brass snares. I don't own one but I have played them and heard others played them and they sound fantastic. The price point can't be beat either.
I don't think INDe makes a brass snare. That Kalamazoo is a phosphor bronze snare. A KILLER sounding snare though, no doubt about it. But a darker, drier signature than a brass snare. More along the lines of aluminum, albeit even drier. Also, still on the pricey side and between six to seven hundred depending on the options.

To the OP...lots of GREAT recommendations on this thread already. Many of them are excellent snares. While you are pondering, be sure to consider the Ahead snares. Killer sounding drums with all of the hardware upgrades which most people end up adding to a drum included stock. :D

In my opinion, there is a real difference between a rolled and welded shell and a seamless spun shell. Not day and night mind you. And don't get me wrong. A r&w snare can sound great. But for consistency of tone and ease of tuning, I have never found anything to equal a seamless spun shell. Again, my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE Ludwig snares. If you have the money (and you do) and you have your heart set on a Ludwig, then don't let anyone talk you out of it. I think they have a unique sonic signature all their own. I have three of them, and I use them all the time in gigging and recording. The only snares in my collection which get even close to the kind of use my Ludwig's do are my Pork Pie's...which are equally great sounding.

If you do land on a Black Beauty, may I recommend the LB417T model. The all brass tube lugs do make a subtle difference in sound. And they look WAY cool. :D

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I don't think INDe makes a brass snare. That Kalamazoo is a phosphor bronze snare. A KILLER sounding snare though, no doubt about it. But a darker, drier signature than a brass snare. More along the lines of aluminum, albeit even drier. Also, still on the pricey side and between six to seven hundred depending on the options.

To the OP...lots of GREAT recommendations on this thread already. Many of them are excellent snares. While you are pondering, be sure to consider the Ahead snares. Killer sounding drums with all of the hardware upgrades which most people end up adding to a drum included stock. :D

In my opinion, there is a real difference between a rolled and welded shell and a seamless spun shell. Not day and night mind you. And don't get me wrong. A r&w snare can sound great. But for consistency of tone and ease of tuning, I have never found anything to equal a seamless spun shell. Again, my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE Ludwig snares. If you have the money (and you do) and you have your heart set on a Ludwig, then don't let anyone talk you out of it. I think they have a unique sonic signature all their own. I have three of them, and I use them all the time in gigging and recording. The only snares in my collection which get even close to the kind of use my Ludwig's do are my Pork Pie's...which are equally great sounding.

If you do land on a Black Beauty, may I recommend the LB417T model. The all brass tube lugs do make a subtle difference in sound. And they look WAY cool. :D
I hesitate to reply because it keeps this thread confusingly alive, but you put in the effort and deserve a response!

Right about the Kalamazoo - it was always a left field option and after what you wrote I'm glad I didn't spend any more time considering it. Nice but not what I was after on this occasion.

I'm with you on the difference between welded and seamless. If the decision had been really close I suspect it would have been between seamless brass shells. But the BB was only one I could play in person, and it was different enough from the welded alternatives for me to jump at it.

Are the lugs on the LB417T actually brass? I assumed they were steel like the hoops. I went with imperial lugs but I've been contemplating ordering 2.5mm COB hoops from Drum Factory Direct...

oriollo

Reaction score
Oriollo seems to tick most of my boxes, but unfortunately the first mention of them came in a bit late and international shipping might have been an issue again (I think they hang out here so maybe they can answer that for the record).
Yes, we do ship worldwide and shipping is included in our website prices.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are the lugs on the LB417T actually brass? I assumed they were steel like the hoops. I went with imperial lugs but I've been contemplating ordering 2.5mm COB hoops from Drum Factory Direct...
Congrats! While I cannot answer the tube lug question with certainty ,the tube lugs on mine were added prior to me owning it, I believe they are. You can pull one off and check the threaded hole, and also use a magnet to check.

COB hoops most will help to tame the high frequencies of the drum. You might try and swap to die cast hoops, if you have another drum with some, before you pull the trigger on the COB. While I am not a fan of die cast hoops on snares, they do tame the drum and make it more versatile in smaller room/venue situations.

Don't get me wrong, wide open the drum is ethereal when you have proper acoustics. One can better understand this by playing it, as delivered, in a cinder block basement, or small room/bar with concrete floors and little to no baffling.

Drumskillz

Reaction score
Are the lugs on the LB417T actually brass? I assumed they were steel like the hoops.
Good question on the lugs. I always assumed they were. But Ludwig doesn't specify, so perhaps not. Of course, you could always buy them aftermarket.

I went with imperial lugs but I've been contemplating ordering 2.5mm COB hoops from Drum Factory Direct...
Congrats on purchasing The Black Beauty! You won't be disappointed.

If I were considering an upgrade path it would be...

1. Replace the throw...Ludwig's weakest link by far. First choice, INde. Second choice, Trick with a RetroPlate.

2. Considering hoop replacement? DW True Hoops. Hands down. You can buy the batter/reso pair for around 90 bucks. It will calm down the ping without drying out the drum too much.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats on purchasing The Black Beauty! You won't be disappointed.
If I were considering an upgrade path it would be...
1. Replace the throw...Ludwig's weakest link by far. First choice, INde.
Newer BBs come with a P88, which is close to the INde from what I can tell, and huge upgrade from the P85.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Newer BBs come with a P88, which is close to the INde from what I can tell, and huge upgrade from the P85.
Yep, designed by same guy (Josh at Inde )

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Can confirm, my 2020 BB has the P88. I've not used the (notorious) P85 but this seems to be a modern redesign/reengineering/reimagination/pick your "re". I like it, it functions exactly as I'd expect and has a nice classic-yet-modern look.

Latest posts