Soap scum residue after soaking hardware?

meanmeanpride

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am very new to drum restorations - this is my first time actually working on cleaning a kit and making it look its best. As per instructions on many drum forums, I soaked the hardware overnight in a mixture of water and Dial soap. I poured the dial all over the hardware and then introduced the water. After removing the hardware and washing each piece/scrubbing with a toothbrush, I notice there is a slight white "soap scum" residue on the inside of the lugs (the chrome is perfect, no problems). It is very slight, but I worry maybe I have done something wrong or used too strong/too much Dial. It seems no matter how many times I re-wash and scrub with a toothbrush after some drying it still returns.

Is this a major problem, and can I get away with replacing the hardware on the drum even with these issues? Thanks much.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pictures would help. Sounds like oxidation of no consequence.

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
u left them wet for too long. ive done it myself.

best to towel dry everything as soon as they come out of their bath, then hit them with a hair dryer on high inside and out. you want them dry as a bone!

paying your dues bud, we've all gone through it :)

meanmeanpride

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm not as worried about it anymore. My second round of hardware comes out of the bath today, so I'll try the hairdryer tip.

meanmeanpride

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not so sure this is normal. I've attached a picture of the bass drum mount from my old Tama bass drum I am restoring. The outside looks fine, but the inside has several points that look like I have damaged the integrity of the metal. All I did was soak in water for 24 hours, and I rinsed, scrubbed with a toothbrush, and hair dried immediately.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
its fine, dont sweat it. u can take some steel wool to it and it should come off easily if it bothers you, but dawn soap and water will not damage it.

meanmeanpride

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. Just freaked out there for a minute because it's the first time I've done this.

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never actually heard of anyone recommending Dial soap for the soak? DAWN is revered around these parts and I've had great success with it on many resto projects. For those more experienced than I am here, any chance of the Dial soap being culprit?

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree that DAWN soap is the stuff to use for soaking parts. I usually use a 1/3 DAWN to 2/3 water dilution and have let parts sit in that for several days without a problem.

The slight oxidation on the one piece shown is no big deal - a small brass "toothbrush" for cleaning parts would probably remove that without a problem.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Dawn... the blue "original recipe" stuff is the most effective of what I've found for hardware. I've had similar soap scum issues using other brands and varieties of Dawn on lugs and whatnot.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i usually wash my parts in Sunlight or some other dish soap AFTER the Dawn soak... seems the Dawn removes the rust, but leaves a smudgy film behind

Sunlight and hot water then gets them "clean"

Latest posts