SOLD 1950s Gretsch "Broadkaster" Standard/Floor Show Snare Drum 6.5" X 14" 3 Ply

gkrk

Reaction score
SOLD

Price Drop: 1950s Gretsch "Broadkaster" Standard / Floor Show Snare Drum 6.5" X 14" 3 Ply

Refinished in 2002 by Jim Petty. Was blue/silver duco that had been painted over in enamel
orange. Jim Petty told me that the outer ply is not maple but looks like Gum Wood. Stripped
and refinished by Jim Petty in a clear satin. Some evidence of the orange paint is still present.

Batter hoop is, I believe, the original chrome-over-brass stick chopper, which seems a bit out of round but works.
I tried a 2.3 triple flanged hoop on this drum, and it focused the tone. But the old hoop sounds good too.

Snare side hoop is a 1970s Slingerland chrome-over-steel stick chopper. A bit different "color" than the
batter hoop but not a bad match at all.

Strainer is a 1970s Ludwig P-85 that is attached with an wood adapter "plate" that uses the original
MicroSensitive holes. There are no extra or unoriginal holes in the shell.

The butt is a reproduction that I bought, I think, from John Aldridge in 2002. One-point adjustable.

Lugs are original chrome-over-brass. Pitted but will clean up well.

Tension rods and washers are all newer replacements.

Muffler and knob are original and work as intended.

New Price = $ 230 shipped. Local pickup in Southern Vermont/Western Mass/South eastern New Hamphire area very acceptable.

Gretsch Snare Drum 1.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 3.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 2.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 4.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 5.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 6.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 7.jpgGretsch Snare Drum 8.jpg

Last edited:

gkrk

Reaction score
Price drop: $275 plus shipping. Who knows what's under the pearl or duco finish of these drums? I was surprised that this drum's outer ply wasn't maple.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
gkrk said:
Price drop: $275 plus shipping. Who knows what's under the pearl or duco finish of these drums? I was surprised that this drum's outer ply wasn't maple.
surprise indeed :p actually looks like birch to me, comparing it to, say, a joyful noise legacy birch.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice drum!
A couple questions, is that the original grommet on the badge and if it was wrapped would heads be real tight?

gkrk

Reaction score
Nice drum!
A couple questions, is that the original grommet on the badge and if it was wrapped would heads be real tight?
I believe that it is the original grommet on the badge. Jim Petty told me that he didn't remove the badge when he stripped and refinished the drum. The drum was originally a two-tone duco, as noted in the original listing. I have no idea whether heads would be tight if the drum were to be wrapped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeremy

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How are the bearing edges? Original? Did they get redone by Petty? Also, I have this exact drum with the original red sparkle wrap and heads are tight FYI....

gkrk

Reaction score
How are the bearing edges? Original? Did they get redone by Petty? Also, I have this exact drum with the original red sparkle wrap and heads are tight FYI....
No, no re-cutting of edges. In fact, I remember Jim Petty saying something about not cutting them and that edges aren't supposed to be 45 degrees, which I agreed with. All I wanted him to do was the strip and light satin refinish. Regarding heads, I don't think heads go on tight, but I haven't put anything new on this drum in many years.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

How would you describe the sound??
I have a roundbadge Dixieland snare and a cob 10 lug, not sure of the model number, I really like them both, this drum intrigues me.

gkrk

Reaction score
How would you describe the sound??
I have a roundbadge Dixieland snare and a cob 10 lug, not sure of the model number, I really like them both, this drum intrigues me.
The sound is interesting. I had it at a rehearsal the other day, using lightning rods, and found it had a range of tones across the head. Not sure if this is due to the old brass batter hoop. I used to have a 2.3mm triple flange hoop on top and recall that it dried and focused the tone. I was surprised the other day by how many zones there were on the batter head. That head and the snare side have been on the drum for 16 years and bore the brunt of my fiddling with different tunings. New heads will likely contribute to new discoveries.