SOLD 1964 Rogers Powertone COB Snare Drum

gkrk

Reaction score
1964 Rogers Powertone Chrome-Over-Brass Snare Drum

Cleveland, serial number 6390

Clock-Face strainer in "silver" not blacked in behind logo
1960s Powertone Snare 1.jpg1960s Powertone Snare 2.jpg1960s Powertone Snare 3.jpg1960s Powertone Snare 4.jpg
Some small dings and surface scratches. The drum could use
an attentive cleaning.

Muffler screw rod seems to be stripped so the black felt pad won't
come up to the underside of the batter head. A complete white felt
muffler unit will be include so buyer can fix this up and have some
extra parts on hand for later.

Asking $200 shipped. Local pickup in Southern Vermont/Western Mass/Southeastern New Hampshire area very acceptable.

Last edited:

gkrk

Reaction score
Thanks Powertone! I played a 1970 transition version of this drum from 1974 until I bought this one in 1990. The two drums
sounded great, but I think this '64 version has a denser chrome finish, and, though my memory isn't backed up with photos, I think
there is/was a bit of a difference in how the bearing edges were formed, the '64 having more metal involved. All of which is to say that this drum, while not necessarily superior to the later version, seemed to be a heftier, more solid drum than the later one. Hard to explain; but I spent decades with the two drums. Now my ears want a wood shell, which I have in various sorts. Age is a curious thing for ears and for styles we play.

Jeremy

gkrk

Reaction score
Bump. This is really a great, fairly early Powertone (look at the serial number).

lcondo123

Reaction score
Hi! Would you be interested in a trade for this snare? I have a 1968 COB Dynasonic snare with a few unoriginal parts that I would be more than willing to trade with you for this gorgeous snare. Let me know! Cheers

Luke

gkrk

Reaction score
lcondo123 said:
Hi! Would you be interested in a trade for this snare? I have a 1968 COB Dynasonic snare with a few unoriginal parts that I would be more than willing to trade with you for this gorgeous snare. Let me know! Cheers

Luke
Hi Luke,

I'm not looking to do a trade for the Powertone at this time. And I've already got a COB Dynasonic!

Thanks for the interest!

Jeremy

lcondo123

Reaction score
gkrk said:

Luke
Hi Luke,

I'm not looking to do a trade for the Powertone at this time. And I've already got a COB Dynasonic!

Thanks for the interest!

Jeremy
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Jeremy.

Im 100% interested in this snare, but I would need to sell the Dyna first before I can commit to you for this drum. Let me see if I can get the Dyna out of my hands and then we can talk. Ill keep in touch!

Luke

gkrk

Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of replies. New-student orientation started today at the college I work at. This week is going to be full for me.

And I need to sort out who's offer is first and will be in touch.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I have one of these with a close serial number. It's my Swiss army knife snare drum for live use. Anytime I'm not sure of the room acoustics, tuning I'm going to need, or way that I want the snare drum to sit in the mix, I take this one. I can get a half-dozen completely different and totally awesome sounds out of this drum in 20 seconds or less, no joke. I've never been in a room where the acoustics didn't play nice with it, something I don't think I can say about any of my other snares, and it can get really loud if need be.

lcondo123

Reaction score
AaronLatos said:
I have one of these with a close serial number. It's my Swiss army knife snare drum for live use. Anytime I'm not sure of the room acoustics, tuning I'm going to need, or way that I want the snare drum to sit in the mix, I take this one. I can get a half-dozen completely different and totally awesome sounds out of this drum in 20 seconds or less, no joke. I've never been in a room where the acoustics didn't play nice with it, something I don't think I can say about any of my other snares, and it can get really loud if need be.
I couldn't agree more! I have three wood Powertone snares and I can say the same thing about them... I have each of them tuned completely differently from the others and they all sound superb in their own ways.

I've been looking to find a Cleveland era COB Powertone for a while now, and I really hope I can make this one mine!

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AaronLatos said:
You nailed it!

gkrk

Reaction score
Way overdue BUMP. And some of you expressed interest last year, and I dropped the ball on those
responses. Fresh start, I hope.

Latest posts