SOLD !1969 Slingerland "Black Beauty Pearl" Set

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lbp kit on Reverb right now, all original, bass has a 56-58 badge, and is clearly marked 11th of May, 1961....as to all 4 badges being several years behind, they didn't empty the bins all the way empty before refilling them..so in 69 they're getting to the bottom of the barrel as they transition to the next badge, which is what I imagine happened to the bass drum I mentioned above....And as for the finish ? Well, you're right, and I can find 20 black sparkle kits. But this set isn't black sparkle - it's a black & brass badge "solid jet black" or "black beauty pearl" that makes it rare. Far more so than I ever would have thought before I started to research it

jmetatual

Reaction score

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Slingerland 68, 70, and 73 catalogs don't list a jet black finish....only the black sparkle. So that's another pile to dig into. In fact 2 yrs ago I had plain black wrap partial kit, late 60's Slingerlands in 16,22,22. Torpedo bass drum tension rods, bent legs on the floor toms....brass and black badges. So something in the '68-'70 range. It looked all original except the Pearl bass drum mounts that were added. I was told be a 20 yr Slingerland collector/restorer than there were no plain black wrapped '60's Slingerlands. I'd like to see those again to do a closer inspection of them.

Was Slingerland even doing solid color wraps in the 1960's?

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bass drum you are referring to is not all original, the seller even states that. Without seeing the badge grommet from the inside it cannot be said for certain that the badge is original to that drum. BTW, the looped "S" Chicago badge was used thru '59. A set of t-rods and a hoop, nothing to effect the hoop. And as far as we can tell, badge is used into 59 sometime, before the open S, but by May '61 it should probably already be a Niles badge...

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Slingerland 68, 70, and 73 catalogs don't list a jet black finish....only the black sparkle. So that's another pile to dig into. In fact 2 yrs ago I had plain black wrap partial kit, late 60's Slingerlands in 16,22,22. Torpedo bass drum tension rods, bent legs on the floor toms....brass and black badges. So something in the '68-'70 range. It looked all original except the Pearl bass drum mounts that were added. I was told be a 20 yr Slingerland collector/restorer than there were no plain black wrapped '60's Slingerlands. I'd like to see those again to do a closer inspection of them.

Roy Burns is quoted from 1960 as saying that he'd wanted a jet black pearl kit ever since he saw Sonny Igoe play one. Also, there is a 59-ish (?) bass drum on ebay right now that appears to be original finish, and also a jet black 68 or so bop kit sold on reberb about 6mos ago, that also appeared to be og finish....I believe straight white was probably also available, but like I've said with all the ultra cool flavors of wrap available, it would be understandable why they just weren't popular sellers..

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roy Burns is quoted from 1960 as saying that he'd wanted a jet black pearl kit ever since he saw Sonny Igoe play one. Also, there is a 59-ish (?) bass drum on ebay right now that appears to be original finish, and also a jet black 68 or so bop kit sold on reberb about 6mos ago, that also appeared to be og finish....I believe straight white was probably also available, but like I've said with all the ultra cool flavors of wrap available, it would be understandable why they just weren't popular sellers..
And just for my own curiosity, I've gone back and closely re-examined the badges, particularly the grommets, and the shells, the edges of the wrap etc...And they are, indeed original 60's shells, (whether made in 66/67/68), in original jet black, and then apparently sold new in '69. Thought about lowering the price a little, but I'm actually glad they haven't sold. I think it's a special kit ( to me, anyway), and one that I don't think could easily be replaced. Plus, the local club history of this set makes me all that more fond of it...

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bass drum you are referring to is not all original, the seller even states that. Without seeing the badge grommet from the inside it cannot be said for certain that the badge is original to that drum. BTW, the looped "S" Chicago badge was used thru '59. https://reverb.com/item/38321517-early-60s-slingerland-14x20-bass-drum-and-8x12-tom
One set of t-rods & a hoop not original, and you're right - without seeing the inside of the grommet we can't be positive, I just thought it was curious as by May 61, that drum should (in theory) be past the Chicago badges and in to the new Niles pre-serial badge...

jmetatual

Reaction score
The Slingerland 68, 70, and 73 catalogs don't list a jet black finish....only the black sparkle. I was told be a 20 yr Slingerland collector/restorer than there were no plain black wrapped '60's Slingerlands.

Black Beauty Pearl is mentioned in the '68, '70 and '73 catalogs, in fact it is mentioned in the '67, '65, '64 and '60 catalogs. On the 'color' page there is text that reads "(Not illustrated-Black Beauty, which is solid black)". Another esteemed member here pointed that out to me the other day.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that about BB Pearl. And sure enough, in the lower left corner of my '63 catalog is the same blurb. So much for those who told me solid black was not offered in the 1960's. Apparently it was offered through the ENTIRE decade.

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, apparently I missed the other half of my shell bank (24/13/14/18 w/snare), also from 68 or 69. All five serial numbers are sequential, and all are 233xxx....Interesting !
Screenshot_2021-01-22-15-42-54.png

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an orphan 20" solid black wrap virgin Slingerland bass drum very similar to this. It has a black & brass badge, but that is all that I can remember without looking at it.

Last edited:

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Huh - the "sold-new-in-69" kit has #'s in the 133xxx & 134xxx range...3yr old badges ? Just how big were those bins !

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh - the "sold-new-in-69" kit has #'s in the 133xxx & 134xxx range...3yr old badges ? Just how big were those bins !
The story that I read somewhere years ago was that the badges were in a couple of coffee cans. When a can would get low, they would refill it with badges paying no attention to the badges in the bottom of the can. They would use them until it got low and refill it again. The badges in the very bottom could last through a lot of refills. They were just making sure that every drum got a serial number. They didn't realize that their actions would drive collectors nuts fifty-five years later. The only time that they paid any attention was when there was a major change in the badge, for instance when they switched from brass badges. They changed to silver badges in early 1970, so maybe they were instructed to make sure that they emptied the cans completely in late 1969.

That is at least one crazy possible explanation.

But, of course it is mere speculation in 2021.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Very good. Oddly enough I have recorded an example of an Apr. '66 date stamped drum with a similarly high serial. Quite an outlier as 80xxx's - 90xxx's is typical for early '66. 145xxx would be expected as '67. This one is particularly interesting because it is a higher than expected number on an earlier drum. The OP's set is lower than expected numbers on later drums.

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The story that I read somewhere years ago was that the badges were in a couple of coffee cans. When a can would get low, they would refill it with badges paying no attention to the badges in the bottom of the can. They would use them until it got low and refill it again. The badges in the very bottom could last through a lot of refills. They were just making sure that every drum got a serial number. They didn't realize that their actions would drive collectors nuts fifty-five years later. The only time that they paid any attention was when there was a major change in the badge, for instance when they switched from brass badges. They changed to silver badges in early 1970, so maybe they were instructed to make sure that they emptied the cans completely in late 1969.

That is at least one crazy possible explanation.

But, of course it is mere speculation in 2021.
That's about what I guessed may have happened, as the odds of these shells sitting on the shelf for 2-3yrs seems kind of unlikely...