**SOLD** 1970 Ludwig Acrolite, Brushed Aluminum shell, Blank B/O

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Up for sale is my Oct. 5, 1970 Ludwig Acrolite. I believe it to be 100% original (less new heads and snare wires). Its unique features are its lovely brushed aluminum shell (very unusual for late 1970) and the no-serial B/O badge. Per Richard E. Gier's book "Serial Number Dating Guide for Vintage Ludwig Drums", only 43 exist from 1970. Aside from a few very light surface scratches, it's a looker. No dents, no pitting, no rust: it's been very well cared for.
One note: the original snare tension knob does have a slight bend in it. It's unnoticeable at low snare tension, but it does increase as tension increases. Still totally functional, but important to mention. I'm sure it can be straightened on a vise, but I've never taken the drum apart.

I was thinking $270 shipped (lower 48, please). Let me know if you're interested.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is my Oct. 5, 1970 Ludwig Acrolite. I believe it to be 100% original (less new heads and snare wires). Its unique features are its lovely brushed aluminum shell (very unusual for late 1970) and the no-serial B/O badge. Per Richard E. Gier's book "Serial Number Dating Guide for Vintage Ludwig Drums", only 43 exist from 1970.
Just found this thread and wanted to provide some clarification. Richard E. Gier's book does not say that only 43 blank badge drums exist from 1970. I report in my book that as of the December 2013 publish date, I had been able to document 43 examples of blank badges with date stamps from 1970. The database with those 43 reports contained just a small fraction of the drums that Ludwig produced - between one and two percent. Concluding that only 43 examples exist based upon my information is incorrect. It seems more likely that if the database contains a representative sample, then there are 50 to 100 times more blank badges out there with 1970 date stamps. I tried to be very clear in my writing, but apparently it was not clear enough.

I have continued to gather information over the last seven years. My database currently contains about 350 drums with 1970 date stamps and 145 drums with blank B/O badges (not including the examples where the serial number portion of the badge has been trimmed off). Eighty-two drums have both 1970 date stamps and blank badges. That is almost twice as many as I reported in 2013. I expect this number to continue to grow as the database captures more of the drums that Ludwig produced.