SOLD: 1982 Ludwig Black Cortex B/O - 12, 13, 16, 22

feelyat

Reaction score
I've listed this kit before, but I've always found a way to keep it.

I am the original owner of this 1982 Ludwig Big Beat drum kit.
• 8x12
• 9x13
• 16x16
• 14x22
The finish is the indestructible black cortex. The shells are 6-ply maple/poplar shells without reinforcement rings. Like all 6-ply Ludwigs, these have a booming presence, but are surprisingly versatile. Rounded B/O badges. This kit is in traditional sizes and uses the classic Ludwig Tom mounts, not the huge modular mounts common in the 80s.

I have been using this as my primary gigging kit for a while, and it is a great all-around kit. I have recently gotten the edges recut on all of the toms, and re-painted the BD hoops. This is a “player's” kit, rather than a collector’s item.

• The hex nuts on the mounted toms have been replaced by Ludwig wing nuts.
• I removed the tone control knobs from all drums. I still have them and will include them.
• I removed two T-handles near the pedal and replaced them with keyed tension rods. I will include the original handles.

Condition issues:
• The double tom mount is missing its Ludwig logo.
• A couple of the kick drum claws are missing some chrome.
* A few minor scratches are visible in the wrap.

This kit is in extraordinarily good shape for its age, and sounds phenomenal. The toms have Evans UV-1s over Genera Resonant, neither showing much wear, and the kick has an Aquarian SK-1 batter and a Remo PS3 reso with a 4” port.

I will include cases (bags) for the 22, 16, and 13.

$750. Local pickup in the Chicago area is preferred. Shipping will be at actual cost, including packing materials.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a very nice kit for a fair price. I'd say keep advertising it. The right person will come along eventually.