SOLD! - 1985 Yamaha Tour Custom Drum Set - Cobalt Blue - Six Piece - $1000

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1985 Yamaha Tour Custom – Cobalt Blue in standard sizes 22 x14, 10 x 8, 12 x 8, 13 x 9, 14 x 10 and 16 x 16 . VG condition. It has a scuff or scratch here and there but nothing major. Chrome is very nice – a few of the bass drum lugs have a very light spot of roughness but no pitting and the rest of the rims and lugs on the kit are excellent. A pretty damn clean kit for being 35 years old. Birch-Mahogany composite shells. I will say it – I think these sounded better than the all birch Recording Customs of that era. The Mahogany plys add a punch and warmth missing from the RCs. This same model and color were used by Anton Fig on the Letterman show for may years because of its versatility to cover so many different styles of music. Manu Katche also played this model and color on Peter Gabriel’s 1986 world tour which is where I fell in love with the sound.

The 22/12/13/16 were a factory shipped set, and the 10 and 14 matching add-on toms were purchased from the collection of Nashville touring drummer David Northrup (Oak Ridge Boys, Boz Skaggs, Wynonna). This has been my go-to live and recording rig for the last several years. They sound Pre-EQ’d, mic up nicely and sound smooth as butter through a PA. The double tom stand is included, and I will throw in an extra tom arm in case you want to fly the toms in a v-pattern instead of two to the right or left. The kit has been polished, the tension rods have all received a dab of white lithium grease and feature fairly new Remo coated ambassador X (except the 12” which seemed to like the regular ambassador a little better). The Bass drum has a clear Evans GMAD. No other hardware or cymbals are included – I just wanted to show how the kit looks on stage and outdoors - and no these are not Manu or Anton's actual drums either, I just wanted to show them playing the model and color.

Pick-up or free delivery at a public spot within a 2 hour radius of the DC/Baltimore area. If you choose the latter option – I will request 50% pre-payment in advance. I am sorry, I have been burned by a long drive and a no-show in the past. I will ship to lower 48 CONUS – no international - buyer will pay actual shipping & insurance. I will disassemble the entire kit – wrap and nest. Hardware in a separate box. It will likely take 3 boxes minimum.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
I you or a potential buyer would like to get rid of the 10" tom (to offset the price of the kit,) I would gladly buy it. Just PM me.
Thanks,
Mark

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I you or a potential buyer would like to get rid of the 10" tom (to offset the price of the kit,) I would gladly buy it. Just PM me.
Thanks,
Mark
Size corrected above -- it is a 10" x 8" not a 10" x 7". If I am not successful with selling the full kit will let you know.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a great deal here, and i am intrigued by the birch/mahogany combo. Has anyone ever offered that since? I,m not aware if it has been. Also, the standard sixes are a bonus, just perfect. Good luck with it.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, If these had come up at pretty much any time in the last 20 years other than right now, I would've bought them immediately. At this point I'd only have the ability to do a trade, and even that's iffy.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The right sizes, the right color, the right everything. Someone is going to get a stellar set. Just not me, because I have too many stellar Yamaha sets taking over this crazy house of drums!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
i am intrigued by the birch/mahogany combo. Has anyone ever offered that since? I,m not aware if it has been.
The very make up of one of my favorite drums, British Drum Company’s Lounge kit.

I’d be curious to know how their sounds compare.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The right sizes, the right color, the right everything. Someone is going to get a stellar set. Just not me, because I have too many stellar Yamaha sets taking over this crazy house of drums!
Agreed, brotha. Agreed. Had I not just picked up bconrad's Red Wood Tour Custom set on this very Marketplace page a few weeks ago, I'd be jumping all over this set!

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only I had the room!

Sd27

Reaction score
1985 Yamaha Tour Custom – Cobalt Blue in standard sizes 22 x14, 10 x 8, 12 x 8, 13 x 9, 14 x 10 and 16 x 16 . VG condition. It has a scuff or scratch here and there but nothing major. Chrome is very nice – a few of the bass drum lugs have a very light spot of roughness but no pitting and the rest of the rims and lugs on the kit are excellent. A pretty damn clean kit for being 35 years old. Birch-Mahogany composite shells. I will say it – I think these sounded better than the all birch Recording Customs of that era. The Mahogany plys add a punch and warmth missing from the RCs. This same model and color were used by Anton Fig on the Letterman show for may years because of its versatility to cover so many different styles of music. Manu Katche also played this model and color on Peter Gabriel’s 1986 world tour which is where I fell in love with the sound.

The 22/12/13/16 were a factory shipped set, and the 10 and 14 matching add-on toms were purchased from the collection of Nashville touring drummer David Northrup (Oak Ridge Boys, Boz Skaggs, Wynonna). This has been my go-to live and recording rig for the last several years. They sound Pre-EQ’d, mic up nicely and sound smooth as butter through a PA. The double tom stand is included, and I will throw in an extra tom arm in case you want to fly the toms in a v-pattern instead of two to the right or left. The kit has been polished, the tension rods have all received a dab of white lithium grease and feature fairly new Remo coated ambassador X (except the 12” which seemed to like the regular ambassador a little better). The Bass drum has a clear Evans GMAD. No other hardware or cymbals are included – I just wanted to show how the kit looks on stage and outdoors - and no these are not Manu or Anton's actual drums either, I just wanted to show them playing the model and color.

Pick-up or free delivery at a public spot within a 2 hour radius of the DC/Baltimore area. If you choose the latter option – I will request 50% pre-payment in advance. I am sorry, I have been burned by a long drive and a no-show in the past. I will ship to lower 48 CONUS – no international - buyer will pay actual shipping & insurance. I will disassemble the entire kit – wrap and nest. Hardware in a separate box. It will likely take 3 boxes minimum.
I am very interested. Please email me at sd27race@gmail.com
I live in Cincinnati and driving is no problem. Thanks Scott

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think my brother had a similar kit in white. I will have check and try them.