SOLD 70's Sonor Champion kit

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
12x8, 13x9, 16x16, 22x14.

6 ply beech shells. Bass is 9 ply beech. Rounded edges. Seamless ferro-manganese hoops on the toms. Perfect chrome everywhere some slight pitting on one of the 12" hoops. No rust anywhere.

This has been my main recording kit for 15 years.
When I got them years ago, I removed the cracked and faded Metallic Silver wrap, but I couldn't decide on a new wrap color, so I just wrapped the shells in gold SparkleBrite. I liked the color so much that I have kept that on them ever since.

The tom shells are really nice and clean inside. Edges are all stock and good. The tacks for the badges were replaced with brass slotted head screws. Just like Signature badges. The internal mufflers are long gone. RIMS mounts included with the 12 and 13 toms, but no mount is included. You will have to add what you prefer.The floor tom legs and brackets have been replaced with current Sonor parts. No extra holes drilled.

Aquarian MV heads on the toms. No BD heads.

The bass drum has current Sonor mounting parts. Installing the tom mount required enlarging the existing center hole, but no extra holes. I left the 2 chrome bolts flanking the mount because I think they look good. The bottom plate from the old mount will be included, but will need it's hole enlarged as well if you want to use it. It's not necessary. The badge for the kick is included, but has not been installed yet. The spur brackets are current parts, but I do not have the spurs. Only the brackets. 16 Claws are included, as well as 2 slotted 1/4" 105mm tension rods. You will need to get 14 more. I get my parts from Gerd st stdrums.de. They are about $3 each. You will also need hoops. Gerd has nice beech hoops for about $50 each. I have included a correct era decal for the BD resonant head. The inside of bass drum isn't as flawless as the interiors of the toms. There are some rust stains inside. But the shell is good and solid. There was some ply separation on the edges that I glued last year.

Also included is an extra 13" tom shell for whatever. It had been painted all black at one , and I stripped the paint from it. Use it to make a snare, or as a plug donor if you want to fill any holes left by the original tom mounting hardware.

I was planning to wrap this kit in gold satin flame this year, but I have decided to sell it. Hands down, this is the best sounding kit I have ever had. And, I have owned everything. This is essentially the same as a current model Vintage kit, but with the classic 70's - 80's Sonor lugs.

$500 OBO shipped or local pickup from Columbus, OH.

Last edited:

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Great drums! Really great drums. GLWS (and you may want to add your asking price!)

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
That's a lot of Good Beech Mojo for 5 bills! Although the mounts aren't the original, by today's standards, that's a plus. The old shell mounts are the weak link, IMO. You'll notice my kit had a rack tom on a snare stand with Little Booty Shakers. My plan was to go to RIMS. Those rounded edges are magic as well.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best offer . Need these sold this week.

Latest posts