SOLD - Admin please remove

kevin klever

Reaction score
The 50s Large Stamps Type 1 (2" tall) and Type 2 (same but with "Zildjian" the hollow block lettering) both have the 3 dots. I've seen this Type 1 stamp referred to somewhere as the "1954 stamp" - Apparently this stamp was only used for one year before they switched to the hollow block lettering stamp which went from around 54-57ish. I don't remember where I read that and it might be BS, but it fits generally with the accepted timeline. I've had a few of these over the years and they all sound great. Similar to the dark hollow block stamp vibe (lots of weight in the bell, significant taper, often fairly low profile) but a bit more of the trans-stamp sparkly thing going on. In my experience there's at least as much variability in transitional stamp and 50s large stamp A Zildjians from piece to piece as in Old Ks. Some similar characteristics among stamp era but each cymbal with its own thing going on.

BTW this one is soooold :)

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Kevin. Much appreciated. My Block Stamp must be a 3 dot then. I'd forgotten. I'll assume you got this. If so nice pick up. It's hard to resist these. I have at least a few myself.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
On the mid 50's Large Stamps, there is the Block Stamp and then two other Large Stamps. One has three dots and the other does not.

Mike

kevin klever

Reaction score
Just went back over Zenstat's very excellent AZ timeline page: https://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html

Looks like "1954 stamp" is maybe not a great term and definitely not referring to the 50s large stamp 3 dots. I also never realized there's a version without the three dots. Thanks for pointing that out Mike.

On Zen's timeline he refers to the Hollow Block as Type 1, then the three dots as Type II, and no three dots as Type III. Not sure if this correlates to assumed year of production. I always thought the non-hollow-block 50s large stamps came first, but again I'm not sure why i thought that. Probably something I read in the 12+ years killing time on Cymbalholic.