SOLD (Again!) - 1959 WFL/Ludwig 3-piece Burgundy Sparkle Transition Badge Kit

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Ok, the guy who bought these on ebay never paid for them. If anybody was interested in these drums last go-round, here's a chance to grab em again. I have lowered the price substantially for quick sale.

Here's the poop on the kit:

For sale: 1959 Burgundy Sparkle WFL/Ludwig 3-piece kit: 9"x12", 16" x 16", 18" x 20". These are the famed 3-ply mahogany shells with Rock Maple re-rings that made Ludwig drums from the transition badge era some of the finest instruments ever made by the company. This is a one-of-a-kind example of one of these classic kits. The dead-beat who bought the drums on ebay wrote to me the following:

" The bass drum is from the "Compacto" cocktail kit as offered in the 57-59 catalogs. In that incarnation it was fitted with 3 floor tom legs, a wooden hoop on the bottom and a triple flanged hoop on top and played with a "reverse" pedal as a cocktail drum. In the 59 catalog they also show how the drum can be played in the "regular way" with clip on spurs. It also shows cymbal arms mounted in the leg brackets.

I also submit that the color may not actually be Burgandy Sparkle. It was not uncommon for drum companies to "steal" wraps from their competitors for special kits. In 1960 no company cataloged Burgandy. Gretsch had it later. Slingerland however had a color called Smokey Sparkle Pearl which was very similar and only available in 58 and 59. Very very rare."

So there you have it, 'could be' burgundy sparkle (which would be a one-off anyway) or this even rarer; Smokey Sparkle. Either way, this kit is a one-off.

Both toms are stamped on the inside; Dec 1959, and the bass drum is stamped; Jan 1960. The wrap is original/factory. All have blue ink WFL transition badges.

This is a players kit, not a museum piece, but it is as rare as hens teeth for the following reasons:

1. Burgundy sparkle wrap was not offered by the Ludwig company in its catalogs until the mid-sixties. These drums were made in 1959/60. They are either a company or local shop 'custom order' or they were possibly made for an endorsee of the company.

2. The 18" x 20" original/factory bass drum is a very rare size for a 1959 drum from Ludwig. Those size shells were mostly used for 20" floor toms or the cocktail kits mentioned above. Only a 'few' were made into bass drums by Ludwig and added to kits.

3. 3-ply mahogany shells w/maple re-rings are the finest the Ludwig company ever produced. The sound of these drums is warm, fat and solid. Tone like butter melting on hot pancakes.

Description:

9" x 12" Rack tom: The wrap on the tom is tight and the color is deep. The second owner (I'm the third, you will be the forth,) had added a tom mount so he could use it in a lefty set-up and still have the badge facing forward. The mount was removed and the two small holes were professionally plugged and capped with matching wrap. The original mounting plate was replaced with a new/vintage one the rest of the hardware on the drum is all original and in excellent condition. Minor scratches here and there, nothing bad or that can be seen unless inspected at very close quarters. Overall a gorgeous looking and great sounding drum. Dated: Dec 1959

See photos. And please excuse the dark pix, it's just how they came out.

16" x 16" Floor tom: The wrap on the floor tom has faded/ginger-ale'd a little. But it still matches the kit very well and the only other issue is the beginning of a little lift in two spots on the seam. Easy repair/glue job. Hardware is A-1 and the drum looks and sounds absolutely killer. Dated: Dec 1959

18" x 20" Bass drum: The wrap on the bass drum is perfect, no gouges or 'bad' anything anywhere. It sports a brand new/vintage rail mount and four factory installed spurs! It has a coated vintage logo reso and an Evans EMAD batter. This is one of the most beautiful bass drums I have ever seen or heard. Because of the depth, the drum really projects. You can use this for jazz or rock/blues. Very versatile kit.

So there it all is; ' The good, the bad, and the ugly.' This really is a one-of-a-kind drum set from the Ludwig company's heyday. I'm just a sucker for burgundy sparkle anyway, but these drums are unusually beautiful and rare. Someone is going to be very pleased with owning these wonderful tubs.

US Postal M.O. only. I invite you to check my 100% positive seller feedback, over 185 transactions on fleabay. $1200. -shipped-! (Lower 48 only!) Your item will be shipped via Fed-Ex, UPS or Parcel Post. First come, first served.

John

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool color. Those drums sure are Purdie. (sorry, couldn't resist).

That bass drum must have turned some heads when it was up on the stage back then!
good luck w/ your sale.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Very nice...good luck with the sale. I was a bit thrown... not sure if they were original wrap... as I have never seen transitional burgundy.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Very nice...good luck with the sale. I was a bit thrown... not sure if they were original wrap... as I have never seen transitional burgundy.
It's factory alright, the wrap tucks into the scarf joint! That wrap was on there when that shell was made. That's why I used the expression; 'rare as hen's teeth!'

It is! Both for the wrap and for the size. 18 x 20 shells were used sparingly as floor toms. Not many bass drums from that era in that size.

I'm right in the old wheel-house with the price too. If nobody buys them at the price, so much the better. I don't really want to sell them anyway. Only doing it out of necessity.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a shame, but where am I going to get a matching 1959 burgundy wrap snare? That's right... nowhere. It would be killer with a matching jazzfest!

If only...

John

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
oh man John you are killing me!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i remember when you got them john. and i also recall how great you mentioned that they sound. hate to hear you might have to sell them. but, at least you have something to sell.
good luck with your sale. what kits will this leave you with now?

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
The 1964 1-up, 2-down BDP kit and the red vistas. I have a couple of snares I'll be moving on as well. I'm keeping the 5.5 x 14 bronze supra and I hope to add the 6.5 deep dish version of the bronze snare as well. Those two will be all the snares I'll ever need. If I do well with the trans badge kit, I'll use some of the $ to put towards the next gem.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
I hated letting them go, but for a player kit, I got a good price for em and they're going to a good home. It's just making room for MORE drums is all... <grin>

John

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I didn't think that they would last long---given the rarity, that was a decent price for them. Congrats!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
way to go john. nice to see something work out for a drum brother.

mike

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:occasion5:

i hope to have a completed set someday.

Latest posts