**SOLD** EARLY 20’s Ludwig & Ludwig 6.5x14 heavy brass

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Early 20’s Ludwig & Ludwig two piece heavy brass 6.5x14. This one has the larger bead. Same shell as a DeLuxe, aka Black Beauty. Throw has been changed, but the replacement strainer was modified, so no extra holes from this mod. Hoops and clips are nickel plated steel. Also has the early tube lugs that sit flat on the shell. The hole in the panel to the left of the throw may be original; I’ve seen the same thing on some of the other drums like this one I’ve run across. My time machine is currently in the shop, otherwise I’d be able to verify . My thoughts would be to throw a pair of NOB WFL triple flange hoops on it and put the original hoops and clips away. These are harder to find in this size.
I’ll entertain trade offers of other vintage drums or snares. $SOLD

Attachments

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m interested, six or eight lugs?
Pm sent

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds reasonable.
So Ludwig did the soldered over bearing edge ... always?,
as this one appears to have?.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not all of the brass Ludwig drums from this era have the soldered bearing edges.

Reactions: JDA

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is there any "Ludwig" ID on the shell or hoops. I know the early 20's drums sometimes didn't have any badge or ID. I had a 6 lug 5" without anything, that btw sounded fantastic. Just curious.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ones from this era had the oval logo on the hoop. It may be there under some corrosion. Thanks!

Pink69

Reaction score
Great looking drum, I even like the corrosion on the rims. Good luck with the sale.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A great heavy brass two piece shell in a very desirable size. Attached 1922 catalogue listing. Replacement strainer makes it playable. No extra holes is great! Original banded steel hoops. Like the idea of adding 50’s Ludwig nickel over brass triple flange hoops and playing it! Clean, but don’t polish.

Attachments