SOLD! Early 70s Pearl President Snare drum COS - Audio Demo with Slideshow

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Offering this early 70s Pearl President Snare Drum. COS 8 lugs .......
This does not have the Pearl President badge on it - though as far as I know these lugs were exclusive to the President line that Pearl offered in the early 1970s. This drum has been cleaned and polished. Looks quite sharp for a 45 year old drum. So here is the sitch on this: In my opinion, this strainer is the best in all vintage Pearl, at least up until that time. I have several snares with this shell and it never disappoints. Some snares with this shell and strainer came with the adjustable butt. Well, this one did not, so I did something special just for you! Rather than an ugle nut and bolt holding this butt together, I installed a knob using a T-bolt behind it. Now you can losen it and slide the butt up and down - and thus it IS adjustable now!
In the spirit of full disclosure:
Notice the scratching above and to the right of the butt end. Notice that the lug to the right of the strainer has been damaged. Didn't notice? Neither did I for several months until I went to detail this snare out. Did you notice something funny with the bottom head and the distance between the hoop and the bottom of the lugs? The reso was installed some 45 years ago (my guess is that it is from the same era) and it was installed unevenly. You should replace it anyway - both heads and maybe the wires as well. That is the best way to get the most out of this drum and allow it to sound the best. I slapped a used batter head that is in better condition than the head that was on it when I bought it. The bottom hoop was a bit OOR, though these steel ones are able to be 'fixed' with a squeeze. Just know that it might be a little OOR. As you can hear on the demo, nothing that effects its function.
For the demo, I miced the top only with a tom/bass mic so it is EQed for warmth, then on my early 80s Yamaha board I gave it max highs and about 60% lows. That's right - only 2 knobs to EQ anything on that relic.
This snare will fit right in with your vintage Pearl, it is already cleaned and polished, and features arguably the thickest and toughest Pearl lugs of that era. Asking $80 OBO plus shipping from 49285.
Audio Demo with Slideshow:

Attachments

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice sounding snare and super cool presentation! GLWS

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bumpity Bump....growing rubber feet to bounce to a new house.
If I had a kit with these lugs....this would be staying with me - because they are great snares.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't believe this snare is still with me. This great of a snare at this price......I think it is conclusive that the market is very down right now.
Perhaps I will run into a Pearl President kit someday and it won't have a snare with it. Is it destined to stay with me?