SOLD! Leedy & Ludwig Concert Snare Reduced: $300!

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From 1950-1954, the Leedy & Ludwig 15 x 8 Concert snare drum.
The shells are three ply with rings. Nickel over brass hoops - The lugs are nickel. The throw off and butt plate are the originals. The bottom hoop is a Slingerland; it's the same except the snare gates are riveted to the hoop.
Beautiful Black Pearl.
New heads and wires.
A very presentable, very nice playing drum!

Price reduced to 300 plus $30 shipping (USD). (If it doesn't sell at $300, it's mine for life. For better or worse.)
Here's the shipping deal: I'll pay half - if your half is less than 30, I'll refund it.

Attachments

Last edited:

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm biased. but i'll tell ya', this is a killer player!

Last edited:

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No gaskets. That’s the shape of the lug!

gkrk

Reaction score
I think those later drums, when it became Leedy/Ludwig, had those "gaskets" or metal reinforcement plates, between the lug and the shell. Not sure why as the regular Leedy drums with those lugs didn't have them, at least as far as I know. Sometimes later Ludwig Imperial lugs have them too, I seem to recall.

Last edited:

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
gkrk - you’re right. Those are metal plates. It’s been a while since I reassembled this, and I forgot about them.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The metal gaskets are also a vintage Leedy marcher thing.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned two Leedy Ludwig's like that drum which did not have a pearl wrap. In both cases the shells were cracked (before I got the drums) from excessive tension. They did have the metal plates under the lugs also. Those are fairly thin shells and not designed for over tensioning.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shell on this one isn't cracked. Not visibly, at any rate. I inspected the interior when I changed the heads. So, I don't believe it's cracked.
Thank you for the info about the lugs.

bonzo60

Reaction score
If you've never played an 8x15 you're missing out on a special drum. Someone should seriously consider this, great price too.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I have a 6.5x15 one of these and it's one of my main studio mules. Great instrument! The Leedy drums of this era have a bit of their own thing going on,very characterful sound.