SOLD Locally Late 1800’s Early 1900’s

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Late 1800’s military drum. This is a project drum that needs someone to take it to the next level. It’s complete, but needs work.

The tuning is similar to Buescher, Dodge, Noke and Nicolai or Bower and the lugs kind of look like Stromberg. The drum is all aluminum, lugs are riveted and welded on. Three reso side lugs seemed to slip.

12x15”

Top head is calf, bottom is modern. I have the original gut snare wires.

Looking for a leedy snare. Rat Rod, unoriginal and well used is not only welcome..... it’s preferred.
B36B76A1-B9AA-4374-AE26-ED289C4D6E2D.jpeg

Attachments

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late 1800’s military drum. This is a project drum that needs someone to take it to the next level. It’s complete, but needs work.

The tuning is similar to Buescher, Dodge, Noke and Nicolai or Bower and the lugs kind of look like Stromberg. The drum is all aluminum, lugs are riveted and welded on. Three reso side lugs seemed to slip.

12x15”

Looking for a leedy snare. Rat Rod, unoriginal and well used is not only welcome..... it’s preferred.
View attachment 472100
Great looking drum but late 1800’s Hmmm. Aluminum first cane into prominence in the early 1900s and then it was more costly and precious than gold.
Note: well into the 1960s gold was ”pegged” at $35 U.S. per ounce.. I bought two bars abd sold them as price was going nowhere !
The military drums we played in Canadian Cadet Corps were Brass shells with natural heads. The snare wires were cloth covered wire and tension controlled by ropes that had a leather escutchion that was pulled up and stayed in place by friction. These were common in military bands throughout our country until into the late 50s. Never the less, you have a great drum and piece of history so do the research and post it here.
groove on

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great looking drum but late 1800’s Hmmm. Aluminum first cane into prominence in the early 1900s and then it was more costly and precious than gold.
Note: well into the 1960s gold was ”pegged” at $35 U.S. per ounce.. I bought two bars abd sold them as price was going nowhere !
The military drums we played in Canadian Cadet Corps were Brass shells with natural heads. The snare wires were cloth covered wire and tension controlled by ropes that had a leather escutchion that was pulled up and stayed in place by friction. These were common in military bands throughout our country until into the late 50s. Never the less, you have a great drum and piece of history so do the research and post it here.
groove on
Did a boatload of research on this one. You can check it out at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/614873638926318/?ref=share

tubelugs

Reaction score

12x15”

View attachment 472100
What work does it need. Brand on top ridge’s badge? What are you looking for in the Leedy? (Era, size, shell material, etc. )

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
What work does it need. Brand on top ridge’s badge? What are you looking for in the Leedy? (Era, size, shell material, etc. )
Three of the snare side lugs slip. There are no inserts and I’m afraid to retap them myself. Also the gut snares will need to be put back on.

I believe the badge on the top rim represents a war reenactment troop rather than a drum brand. However, I can’t find any information.... and trust me I’ve looked.

I’m open to any Leedy snares, but prefer non marching sizes. Beat up or unoriginal parts is not a problem.