SOLD-Modern Drum Shop bop kit 18/14/12/10

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to sell it but it is very difficult, I have limited space and sadly I have to let this go.
Pictures don’t do it justice, but here it is:

I am not an experienced shipper and will need some time to find appropriate boxes and bubble wrap the kit and ship this out.

Asking $1300 shipped!

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like they would be roughly equivalent to a Yamaha Tour Custom kit?

For future thought in case you end up shipping the kit: I've found our local farm tractor dealer to be an excellent source for boxes for shipping musical gear. Make friends with the companies' receiving clerk and you will be able to source large boxes that are typically made from heavy-duty waxed cardboard, and often double-walled cardboard. I've done this a number of times and those heavy boxes are perfect, even if you have to modify them for fit.

GeeDeeEmm

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

For future thought in case you end up shipping the kit: I've found our local farm tractor dealer to be an excellent source for boxes for shipping musical gear. Make friends with the companies' receiving clerk and you will be able to source large boxes that are typically made from heavy-duty waxed cardboard, and often double-walled cardboard. I've done this a number of times and those heavy boxes are perfect, even if you have to modify them for fit.

GeeDeeEmm
Not sure if I would compare it to a tour custom kit but yea these lugs came on 80’s yamaha tour customs, but 80’s tour customs weren’t made out of maple.

That’s a good idea, I did let a local music shop know on different occasions but they always forget to let me know when they have empty boxes available. Fedex also can pack them up for some money.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Home depot sells 22" cube boxes really cheap. You can cut down the height to 18" (take the bass hoops off before shipping. You can safely nest the 14 and the 10 inside that box and ship the 12" in a 16" cube box which can be found at Staples...

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Home depot sells 22" cube boxes really cheap. You can cut down the height to 18" (take the bass hoops off before shipping. You can safely nest the 14 and the 10 inside that box and ship the 12" in a 16" cube box which can be found at Staples...
Thanks for the tips, I will see if I can go with this route or ask Fedex to pack it up assuming they will do a better job than me but I think they charge $20-30 per box for packing.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I will see if I can go with this route or ask Fedex to pack it up assuming they will do a better job than me but I think they charge $20-30 per box for packing.
If you have fedex do it, make sure to remove bass hoops first and lay them over the shell.

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always loved Modern Drum Shop. Owned MANY of their drums..
I'm having a hard time selling my minty modern drum shop 14x16 nesting bass drum...I'll be posting it soon..

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sent your link to a friend of mine in the LA area maybe he knows some folks looking for a RAD set/bop set

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, there are also some people interested who want it shipped.
Yeah I'm sure there are some folks that would love it.
And I'm grateful for everyone's insight about shipping. For those that know we know :)
I've shipped all over the world successfully with lots of care and thought ahead of time.
Happy to talk you through precisely how to do it and I would not trust FedEx ha! :) you might meet someone that's done a drum set with exactness but if they have not you're better off chatting with all of us as you already are and doing it yourself☆♡
And yes everyone is definitely correct about taking off all the hardware and the heads and the hoops and putting the bass drum Hoops over the end of the shells and then bubble wrapping the shell. There's some other things to keep in mind as well.
And for what it's worth I never pay for packing materials I just check out the alleys as people throw out recycling materials including brand new boxes constantly. Whether that be retail or residential.

I'll have to re-read your ad curious if you ever got a chance to go to Joe's shop

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure there are some folks that would love it.
And I'm grateful for everyone's insight about shipping. For those that know we know :)
I've shipped all over the world successfully with lots of care and thought ahead of time.
Happy to talk you through precisely how to do it and I would not trust FedEx ha! :) you might meet someone that's done a drum set with exactness but if they have not you're better off chatting with all of us as you already are and doing it yourself☆♡
And yes everyone is definitely correct about taking off all the hardware and the heads and the hoops and putting the bass drum Hoops over the end of the shells and then bubble wrapping the shell. There's some other things to keep in mind as well.
And for what it's worth I never pay for packing materials I just check out the alleys as people throw out recycling materials including brand new boxes constantly. Whether that be retail or residential.

I'll have to re-read your ad curious if you ever got a chance to go to Joe's shop
Yup it is a pretty unique set, not everyone will dig it but people who do they really dig it, I’m one of them. I am selling this but I’ll get this one or a similar MDS kit in future for sure.
Thanks for the shipping tips, interestingly enough all of the drum sets that have been shipped to me all these years had the hoops installed on the bass drum and the whole bass drum was bubble wrapped, none of them removed the hoops, and these were all drum shops who shipped them.
I haven’t been to Joe’s shop but I have met Willie who probably was the guy that made these drums alongside Joe in that time period, based on what he told me. He owns a MDS kit too with a 16” bass.
it’s sad for me to let this kit go but it’s ok some other MDS kit will pop up for sale in future.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the reason for removing the drum hoops and letting them drop down the side of the bass? I'm not disputing the method as I just recieved a new PDP concept maple classic wood hoop set a few days ago where the wood hoops were installed on the mounted and floor toms but the bass drum wood hoops were wrapped separately and laying over both sides of the bass. Thanks.

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Often times when the box is dropped and the hoops and heads and claws are on the Drum It causes quite a bit of shock and can crack the hoops.
Many of us have found that taking the bass drum apart putting the Hoops around each end of the shell putting the drum heads back on each end and then shrink wrapping and bubble wrapping ensures that if the drum is dropped the Hoops will be safe as they are around the shell.
* of course the box has to be reinforced on the inside on all sides top and bottom Etc, but even with the needed and necessary reinforcement good to have the Hoops around the shell ends

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No serious interest from forum members so far.
Once this covid situation is over I will get boxes from GC or local music store for shipping and list these on Reverb. Cheers~

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score

GeeDeeEmm
- and you can get bubble wrap at Office Depot or U Haul.