SOLD Slingerland Silver Sparkle 6 Lug Shelbyville Era SOLD

sws2h

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For sale I have a beautiful 1965 Slingerland 6 lug snare. This is from the Shelbyville era (1965-66) and is a 3 ply maple shell with oak re-rings (a feature unique to the Shelbyville drums). All the part are original, hoops are chrome over brass. Brand new snare wires. The original wrap was badly cracked so this drum was professionally rewrapped in silver sparkle at Drum Supply House.

I no longer have my silver sparkle set so it's time to pass this drum along. $225 or would consider trade for certain cymbals. Manly looking to add to lines I already have: Istanbul Agop Signature ride or a crash over 17", Paiste Masters Dark hi-hats or ride, Paiste Giant Beat 24", Zildjian Constantinople hi-hats or ride, Zildjian A Avedis 21" or 22" ride, or Bosphorus Black Pearl 24".

I might also consider partial trades for drum parts. I need Slingerland floor tom brackets, Ludwig 5/16" spurs, Camco bass drum claws and tension rods / Camco tom mount / Camco tom brackets, and a few other Slingerland and Ludwig odds and ends

Would also trade for a Leedy (Slingerland era) Red Sparkle 12x8 tom

IMG-5366.jpg

IMG-5367.jpg

IMG-5368.jpg

IMG-5370.jpg

IMG-5371.jpg

IMG-5372.jpg

IMG-5373.jpg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! So in truth, I'm the only guy on this forum that has not bought into 6 lug snares... but if I were to, it would be this one for sure! That is stunning! Good luck with the sale, that's a very cool drum!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a really nice drum, and a great value. I have a six lug "Slinger-Leedy" with a similar shell. (Maple hoops.) I love how it sounds. I expect that this will sell fast.

sws2h

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe I have this sold...someone locally had a double Camco tom arm to partially trade.

The 6 lug Slingerland's are fun. A bit less forgiving with tuning but they definitely do their own thing, but I have another that matches my kit.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I honestly can't tell that the re-rings are oak. As to the badge, it doesn't appear to be the Maroon/Brass Shelbyville badge. Can you show a closeup?

-Mark

jmetatual

Reaction score
Two details a Shelbyville buyer is going to want to see are the maroon badge and the oak rings. While on close inspection it does appear these are correct it is far from obvious. GLWS.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even though it's a moot point now, here's a picture of the Shelbyville badge. I'm just not seeing this in the pictured drum. If I'm buying a Shelbyville Slingerland, I expect to see the Maroon/Brass badge...and oak rings!

-Mark

Attachments

sws2h

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I sold it in person so it’s gone and I don’t have a closer picture of the rings but here’s one I found of the badge if it puts your mind at ease. It’s maroon and brass and says Shelbyville on it...

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! It does put my mind at ease! Is this the same drum from your first picture? The badges appear completely different. But, at least this one does show that it's a Shelbyville. I'm sure the new owner will be very pleased!

-Mark

sws2h

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes! It does put my mind at ease! Is this the same drum from your first picture? The badges appear completely different. But, at least this one does show that it's a Shelbyville. I'm sure the new owner will be very pleased!

-Mark
Same drum, same bench! I think however the light was the other day made it look black

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What make the Shelbyville drums good ?
The oak re rings, or is it other things as well ?
I have a 6 lug Niles, and am curious about differences.
Thnx

jmetatual

Reaction score
glaze148, the main differences between a Shelbyville and a Niles drum are the oak re-rings and maroon badge on the Shelbyvilles. Primarily collectible to some for being unique rather than somehow better.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Even though it's a moot point now, here's a picture of the Shelbyville badge. I'm just not seeing this in the pictured drum. If I'm buying a Shelbyville Slingerland, I expect to see the Maroon/Brass badge...and oak rings!

-Mark
If you look closely at the original badge picture you can make out the second line of text at the bottom that does not appear on the Niles badges ("assembled in"). I concur with you, it is not obvious.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you look closely at the original badge picture you can make out the second line of text at the bottom that does not appear on the Niles badges ("assembled in"). I concur with you, it is not obvious.
Honestly, for my eyes...and even with my large monitor, I could not make out the text that you see! I'm also quite surprised that the lighting was so off that the badge appeared black and not maroon. Again, completely moot now!

-Mark

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
glaze148, the main differences between a Shelbyville and a Niles drum are the oak re-rings and maroon badge on the Shelbyvilles. Primarily collectible to some for being unique rather than somehow better.
Thanks for the explanation

Latest posts