*SOLD* Slingerland Singly Ply/Solid Shell Artist Snare - $435

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Early 60's 5x14 Slingerland Solid Shell Artist Snare - this drum is in really superb condition. Chrome is nearly flawless, no extra holes, edges are great. The shell is a tad oversized, especially at the wrap scarf joint necessitating the AmVintage heads. It does have a slight flat(er) spot about a lug length at one side... honestly didn't even notice it until someone asked a question about it earlier.. see photos. All original everything save for literally brand new Aquarian American Vintage heads top and bottom. They've maybe been hit a couple of times. I picked it up with a matching set, it sounds epic but I'm more of a metal snare guy it's unfortunately spent the better part of the last many years on the shelf. Time to move it along to free up space. $435 obo + ship
IMG_2826.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg IMG_2829.jpeg IMG_2833.jpeg IMG_2834.jpeg IMG_2836.jpeg IMG_2838.jpeg IMG_2858.jpg IMG_2859.jpg

jmetatual

Reaction score
Are you sure it is not 5-1/2 x 14? Is serial number 33xxx?

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope, it's 5" ...at least that's what I measured the other day, I was unsure myself but now you have me wanting to check yet again! and yes, serial is 33174. Sorry, I thought the photos would show larger

jmetatual

Reaction score
Nope, it's 5" ...at least that's what I measured the other day, I was unsure myself but now you have me wanting to check yet again! and yes, serial is 33174. Sorry, I thought the photos would show larger
Late '63/early '64 most likely for that serial number. 5-1/2 x 14 would also be expected.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, a depth of 5.5" would be expected for all Slingerland wood-shell snare drums from the 60's and early 70's. There are exceptions, of course! I've got two Artist snare drums and 8 Student snare drums. While each is advertised as a 5.5" depth, just by eye-balling, you can see the difference in height when they are next to each other. Still, the solid maple shell was built to more exacting dimensions and should be 5.5". My "Sparkling Blue Pearl", single-ply, Artist snare drum is just about exactly 5.5"! Also, just looking at the OP's snare drum, and noting the spacing between the hoops and lugs, it looks like 5.5". Let us know!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just took a picture of my single-ply Artist sitting next to the Deluxe Student. You can see they are both the same height...at 5.5". You can also see the big difference in wraps that Slingerland was famous for, especially with their Sparkling Blue Pearl. Really makes it tough to match add-on drums!

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Before the website was updated, pictures could be displayed at up to 1200x900. After the update, they are limited to half of that, or 600x450, which is what your pictures are showing at! I've brought this up many times and it seems to fall on deaf ears! In fact, when doing a search of older posts, you'll find that the original larger pictures still display at the larger size! You just can't see much detail at 600x450. I don't understand why this can't be fixed.

-Mark

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, a depth of 5.5" would be expected for all Slingerland wood-shell snare drums from the 60's and early 70's. There are exceptions, of course! I've got two Artist snare drums and 8 Student snare drums. While each is advertised as a 5.5" depth, just by eye-balling, you can see the difference in height when they are next to each other. Still, the solid maple shell was built to more exacting dimensions and should be 5.5". My "Sparkling Blue Pearl", single-ply, Artist snare drum is just about exactly 5.5"! Also, just looking at the OP's snare drum, and noting the spacing between the hoops and lugs, it looks like 5.5". Let us know!

-Mark
Yeah I’m an idiot, of course it’s 5.5”... I quickly measured with the heads on and guess the rims/heads had a deeper inset and looked like 5”
...just another boring ol’ 5.5”, nothing rare and unique! lol

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I’m an idiot, of course it’s 5.5”... I quickly measured with the heads on and guess the rims/heads had a deeper inset and looked like 5”
...just another boring ol’ 5.5”, nothing rare and unique! lol
You're definitely NOT an idiot!!! You'd be surprised how many sellers will list these as a 5" depth. Yep, "nothing rare and unique" about your drum!! NOT!

-Mark

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're definitely NOT an idiot!!! You'd be surprised how many sellers will list these as a 5" depth. Yep, "nothing rare and unique" about your drum!! NOT!

-Mark
Really it’s just that I didn’t want to remove the heads to measure because I had it tuned up so beautifully at the time! lol

Edit: someone buy this!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really it’s just that I didn’t want to remove the heads to measure because I had it tuned up so beautifully at the time! lol

Edit: someone buy this!
If I didn't already have a single-ply Artist in Sparkling Blue Pearl, I'd be buying yours! It's in incredibly great condition and all original down to the snare wires! The heads don't count!

-Mark

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took long enough. Lol! I was seriously itching. Thanks to whoever saved me.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Both sides should be happy. Quick sale and a great drum.