SOLD Vaughncraft 6.5x14 Solid Steam-bent Rosewood Shell Snare Drum $250 shipped

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This post is for a snare drum I built from a custom ordered Vaughncraft snare shell built in 2014, right about the time the company was hitting a rocky point and shortly before they went out of business. Apparently the company changed hands, and the new owner didn't quite get his sheeet together. The drum shell reflects this, as it is not perfect in any respect, including some blemishes in the shell. Despite this, it plays and sounds great and I used it on probably hundreds of gigs over the last five years.

IMG_1376 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1378 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG
IMG_1381.JPG

The plank of rosewood from which the drum is built is just plain gorgeous, as are the re-rings inside the drum. The rings are also rosewood, but as you can see in the last photo have some really nifty blonde streaks in them. I treated the shell with multiple coats of teak oil, with a light sanding in between each coat, before I assembled it. It is probably due for a reapplication of the teak oil as it has been a few years.

The eight double-lugs were made by Ego Drum Supply, which has also since gone out of business. While they look like brass, the lugs are actually milled out of aluminum and are sprayed with a powder coat that makes them appear to be brass. Hoops are standard 2.3mm triple flange. The strainer is DW's Mag Strainer with the three position butt plate, which I found to be very useful as one can switch from "snap crackle" to "swampy" with just a flick of the switch.

The shell itself was over $400 when ordered. (From the horror stories I have read about Vaughncraft, I consider myself fortunate to have even received my order, even if it wasn't perfect.) I'm asking $250 shipped (within US48) for the drum. I figure the parts alone would be worth almost that much if ordered new. Shipping available worldwide; please contact me for an exact shipping quote.

Thanks for checking out my drum and have a great day!

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just made a recording but the site isn't allowing me to upload mp3's. I'll monkey with SoundCloud later and try to post a link.

In the meantime, here's an instagram video I made a couple months back of me playing a Jeff Watts groove in 5:

http://instagr.am/p/BtM0CZzBNAU/
Bear in mind this was shot with my iPhone so the audio quality isn't the best, but it should give you a good idea of what it sounds like. The drum is wide open in this video, no muffling whatsoever.