SOLD

dunnenrb

Reaction score
I have a beautiful Vintage Gretsch 'Progressive Jazz' kit in 12/14/20 sizes that is the perfect players kit that I acquired from Spongebob earlier this year. Looking to fund another kit so it's got to go. All three drums are 3ply shells made in Brooklyn, NY between 1952 and 1956. All parts and hardware are from the same era even though they look like they're fresh off the Grestch line.

20x14 Bass Drum. completely virgin (no mounting hardware or spurs), Clear interior, 1952. Will include DW Clamp-On Bass Drum Hoop Spur System. 50s calf skin batter head on both batter and reso.

12x8 Tom - No diamond mount. 50s COB Stick-chopper hoops, some fade to finish, clear interiors, 1952. 50s Calf skin batter head.

14x14 Floor Tom - converted from 28” cocktail drum. Edges trued and re-profiled to original factory specs, COB Stick-chopper hoops, No mufflers, Silver interior, 1956. Some very slight separation on the inner maple ply as pictured. 50s calfskin "Broadkaster" batter head.

Chrome hardware in excellent condition. Calf skin batter on toms and on both sides of kick.

I will also include 12" + 14" BRAND NEW Gretsch 302 hoops that have a little bit more weight to them than the 302 hoops from the 50s.

Completely virgin bass drums were available but not too many were purchased within a drumset assembly. The bass drum and tom were born together, as two parts of the 3 piece outfit known as the "One Nighter" (bass, tom, snare). The workmanship on the cocktail to floor tom conversion is top quality - the restorer used some of the best original Gretsch, period correct lugs, hoops, t-rods, legs & mounts and badge to create the closest replication to original as possible. It's what sets things apart from the rest of the people out there who just slap anything "Gretsch" on a replica drum. All the other hardware and badges are original to the drums as they left the Brooklyn factory in early 1950s.

Looking for $1500 SHIPPED OBO

Attachments

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I only knew that if I sold off my old Tama Superstars that it would cover this. I think my dream setup is a blue sparkle kit in this configuration.

I think Mike Johnston uses a set just like these.

dunnenrb

Reaction score
If I only knew that if I sold off my old Tama Superstars that it would cover this. I think my dream setup is a blue sparkle kit in this configuration.

I think Mike Johnston uses a set just like these.
I think he has a 6-ply kit from the 60s though.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for not buying that Ludwig Standard you had for sale a month or so ago. I live in Roanoke, VA.