Solid color vistalites?

chollyred

Reaction score
Why? What's the point? Someone relatively near has been trying to sell some solid black vistalites for several weeks. I knew a few guys that had the transparent ones back in the day, and they were really cool looking, but I don't remember them sounding extraordinary.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered the same thing.

My guess...there are those that like how Vistalites (acrylic) drums sound and they wanted opaque versions.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are people who really dig the sound. Not me, but they exist.

I don't think any material makes good or bad sounding drums. They make different sounding drums that you may or may not like, and those sounds are rather unpredictable depending on many factors.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The White ones must have really been a bomb as they wrapped them in chrome (real metal I believe) wrap...have seen a few examples in person...talk about heavy!

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
My Buddy has a black set, With a virgin bassdrum to boot. I kind of want to buy them off him

stevil

Reaction score
I had an solid white Vistalite. They were cool. Under normal lighting they were perfectly opaque, but under stage lights they'd glow in a way that matched the lights. The black opaque do the same thing, but to a much less noticeable degree. My favorite Vistalite finish is the green sparkle Ludwig released as a limited edition in 2017. Those were gorgeous. The sparkle is embedded in a translucent green. Very cool.

As for sound, they're not versatile, but it's hard to do what they do with any other material. I played a show last weekend with a drummer who had a Vistalite (the band was Young Hunter, from Portland, OR), and he has his set just DIALED IN. The sound guys and every drummer in the room had sh*t eating grins every time he hit his bass drum. It was sweet.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This kit has been for sale here going on a few years. I think it's still there. Was the last time I went in. Tag says "$799"

IMG_4690.jpg

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the first generation the orange and yellow ones sounded the best and the clear and blue ones the worst. That's why you see so many of the clear and blue for sale. When they added the solid color white and black, they sounded better than clear and blue but still not as good as the orange.

:icon_e_wink::icon_lol:

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the first generation the orange and yellow ones sounded the best and the clear and blue ones the worst. That's why you see so many of the clear and blue for sale. When they added the solid color white and black, they sounded better than clear and blue but still not as good as the orange.

:icon_e_wink::icon_lol:
you almost had me................

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an opaque black snare (what Ludwig considered the Vista version of the Supra). I like the way acrylic snare drums sound and have a black kit so when I wanted a matching snare I thought I'd try one of these. It's super shiny black too. Actually I've had two. I bought one on ebay which turned out to be stolen according to a detective that called me from Texas (or it was a very elaborate scam) and I returned it to the guy that was supposedly the rightful owner...there was a heart rending story attached (of course) like it had been a gift from his late dad or some such. I did get all my money back for it plus shipping. A couple months later I found another one locally. It sounds good...although I give a slight edge to Green.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Why? What's the point? Someone relatively near has been trying to sell some solid black vistalites for several weeks. I knew a few guys that had the transparent ones back in the day, and they were really cool looking, but I don't remember them sounding extraordinary.
Yet another thread on why people either like or do not like vistalite black.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an opaque black snare (what Ludwig considered the Vista version of the Supra). I like the way acrylic snare drums sound and have a black kit so when I wanted a matching snare I thought I'd try one of these. It's super shiny black too. Actually I've had two. I bought one on ebay which turned out to be stolen according to a detective that called me from Texas (or it was a very elaborate scam) and I returned it to the guy that was supposedly the rightful owner...there was a heart rending story attached (of course) like it had been a gift from his late dad or some such. I did get all my money back for it plus shipping. A couple months later I found another one locally. It sounds good...although I give a slight edge to Green.
My clear Vista snare is simply incredible! I have a clear hydraulic on it with everything else dead-stock, and it just does it all--plenty of balls, crisp, easy to roll on....may be my favorite snare I own (and I own a bunch including a BB, BM, and a CM).

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an solid white Vistalite. They were cool. Under normal lighting they were perfectly opaque, but under stage lights they'd glow in a way that matched the lights. The black opaque do the same thing, but to a much less noticeable degree. My favorite Vistalite finish is the green sparkle Ludwig released as a limited edition in 2017. Those were gorgeous. The sparkle is embedded in a translucent green. Very cool.

As for sound, they're not versatile, but it's hard to do what they do with any other material. I played a show last weekend with a drummer who had a Vistalite (the band was Young Hunter, from Portland, OR), and he has his set just DIALED IN. The sound guys and every drummer in the room had sh*t eating grins every time he hit his bass drum. It was sweet.
To me, the new Green Sparkle look awesome, but do NOT look like Vistalites. I haven't seen them in person, but every video I've seen makes them look like regular green-sparkle wrap. Nothing at all like a Vistalite. I think they should have used the classic see-thru green from the 70s. (pretty sure it was reissued again about 8-10 years ago in a limited fashion)

stevil

Reaction score
To me, the new Green Sparkle look awesome, but do NOT look like Vistalites. I haven't seen them in person, but every video I've seen makes them look like regular green-sparkle wrap. Nothing at all like a Vistalite. I think they should have used the classic see-thru green from the 70s. (pretty sure it was reissued again about 8-10 years ago in a limited fashion)
I've seen them in person. They're definitely translucent, but it's subtle. I haven't seen them under stage lights, but I suspect they'd be stunning.

Latest posts