Solos: lots of notes to few notes?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buddy was the king of solos and always will be. I always laugh when I hear younger drummers say this and that negatively about him. If you can develop to play the left continuously as Buddy did and inject right hand accents on the snare, toms , bass drum, cymbals like he could, you would be coming close to what Buddy was about. I can do it. But not with the fluid speed Buddy had. His left hand finger flicks were incredible.
Please...let's not make this another Buddy vs the world thread. Let's try to stick to the topic.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please...let's not make this another Buddy vs the world thread. Let's try to stick to the topic.
It is on topic. I said I like a lot of notes, and Buddy and Ed play a lot of notes. I don't see the problem, put in who you like and why.

Sprice

Reaction score
All the respect in the world to Buddy. No one could drive a band like him and his fills and setups are remarkable. That's where I think he's untouchable. I could care less that he was kind of a jerk. If my name was on the marquee than I'd be a hard*ss too. But it's okay to not like his solos. Technique is untouchable and he hits a lot of things very fast, mostly the snare. But there are other things I like to hear in a solo. I don't hear any tie to the song, his solos are pretty much interchangeable, he doesn't follow song forms other than his early small group dates like with Monk and Parker, I don't hear any motifs in his solos, no call and response, no theme and variations, no quotes, no space, etc. I'm glad people love him and enjoy his music but it's completely personal preference and not a sign that someone is misguided or just missing something if they don't think he's the greatest or that their musical goal isn't to sound like him.

markkarj

Reaction score
I guess the big reason I asked my questions is I just seem to have lost interest in the bigger, faster, louder solos or fills over the years.

I'm more curious of how others' tastes have changed over the years. For example, does it go the other way? Have drummers started enjoying simpler playing and then get much more into more overt performance?

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the big reason I asked my questions is I just seem to have lost interest in the bigger, faster, louder solos or fills over the years.

I'm more curious of how others' tastes have changed over the years. For example, does it go the other way? Have drummers started enjoying simpler playing and then get much more into more overt performance?
I don't think today's music lends itself to the fast, hard tempo solo's of yesteryear. So if you like today's music, you'll probably like today's more subliminal drumming approach. Drums today seem to be very much a background instrument that lightly accentuates the music instead of punctuating and driving it like it used to. The swing and bop eras were musical styles that were made for drum soloing. Rock was as well, but it didn't usually flow quite as well to me.

I've never liked the more artistic approach to drum soloing. I find it boring as a listener. I think the drums are a primal, driving instrument, meant to bring out the beast in us, so the heavier, faster the tempo is, so much the better. But that's just my humble opinion! :)

Wideglyd

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drifted years ago from the million hits per measure drum solos. Even done well they don’t seem musical to me. Give me Simon Philips or Steve Smith anytime. I really love their approach to building the intensity and incorporating a steady under groove.