SOLVED!!! - Can’t Quite Mesh With My New Custom Kit

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dang!!!
I took delivery on a custom build Noble & Cooley Horizon kit about six months ago.
Stunning build quality and attention to detail. Absolutely zero issues with the fit and finish.

I’ve spent six months attempting to find the heads and tuning range for these drums. I can’t freekin hit it. I’ve gone through head choice after head choice after head choice - nojoy.
It just doesn’t have “that” sound and feel. It sounds like other Horizon kits … it just doesn’t inspire me. I’m not connected to it.

I love the snare … SS Walnut 6x14 … great snare.

So … … … what the heck do I do???

I picked up a PDP Concept CLASSIC kit that absolutely floats my boat. Wood hoops … warmth … soft and billowy like a cloud … unreal kit.

I’m at a loss.

I’ve done everything I can think of doing. I’ve arranged the drums differently … ran through a huge assortment of heads … different tensions … different sticks … different rooms … … …

The only thing I haven’t done yet (that I can think of) is put some spacers on the drum lugs and add some thin wood hoops.
I’m reluctant to put much more money into the kit at this point.

What the heck did I miss here?

Here's a Hi-Res that N&C took of my kit ...

HorizonKit_HoneyMaple_WB_MN.jpg

Ptrick

Reaction score
I’ve had a lot of high end gear over the years, not everything gels with what you want to hear. It isn’t a reflection of the gear itself. If it doesn’t move you, move it on to someone it does. No harm in that at all.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.
An outsider can see it clearly:
Stop throwing good money (and time) after bad.
"Sunk Cost Trap"

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
"It sounds like other Horizon kits" so you bought a BMW and your unhappy because it performs like a BMW...? I think if you don't like blueberry pie...sell it to someone who likes it (or is very hungry)...enjoy the PDPs.... use your time to play the drums...not play with the tuning...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
What are the exact Dimensions there..
24/12/13/16/18? what depths? or what is that

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Standard size drums ... 12x8, 13x9, 14x14, 16x16 ...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my Ludwig CM kit - they were stunning in silver glitter but I just couldn't make a connection

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Snare is spectacular and I will hold on to that. Bass sounds ok. Just the toms.
Bass is the 22x14 or 15 ... don't recall.

I paid around 4600 for the kit (minus the snare).

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Mcjnic, do you need someone to play them for you? I know for some drums, their high-reputation sound was created for the audience to appreciate and not necessarily the drummer.

I feel your pain, because that's the fear. We might spend time, money, research, and anticipation only to find the drums fall short of expectations. I just hate to see you give up, and maybe from out front, you'll fall in love with what you were hoping for. Good luck.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Set up the PDP kit facing the N&C kit and just look at it while you're playing. Win/Win!

But seriously, it sucks to spend that money and not be satisfied with the sound. It seems like you've addressed all the variables, so it may be time to just admit this kit won't give you the sound you're after (although it sounds like rounded bearing edges might get you there).
Out of curiosity, did you play a Horizon kit before you ordered one?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Short answer ... no. I had never put a stick to a N&C drum.
But that has never stopped me from picking up kits. I've purchased quite a few kits having never played a representative sample ... Several lines from Mapex, Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland, Trick, PDP, DW, Rogers, etc etc etc. That's really never been an issue.
I had attempted to have a different custom kit built (Craviotto) that didn't materialize. Bad story there that would be inappropriate to share in the open. So, after a year and a half of dealing with Craviotto, I moved on to N&C. Unreal craftsmen. They took some time to build them. I took delivery about six months ago. I've been working on the sound ever since.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"It sounds like other Horizon kits" so you bought a BMW and your unhappy because it performs like a BMW...? I think if you don't like blueberry pie...sell it to someone who likes it (or is very hungry)...enjoy the PDPs.... use your time to play the drums...not play with the tuning...
I was trying to relate that the drums aren't "incorrect" in any way. They sound like drums ... i.e. it's not a bearing edge issue. That kind of thing.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
With plain coated ambassadors top and bottom. What's lacking? volume sustain ; lows. highs..Or what is there too much of on the other hand.

Me I'd make the 16 into a bass keep the 12 and 14

mpungercar

Reaction score
This may be a long shot, but have you tried different reso heads? I had a DW collectors kit a few years back, and I wasn't happy with that kit until I swapped out the stock DW diplomat reso's for some ambassadors.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coated Amb, Clear Amb, Aquarian TC, Aquarian Super2, Aquarian CC, Evans G1 Coated, Evans G1 Clear, Evans G2 Coated, Evans G2 Clear, Ludwig Coated Medium, Ludwig Coated Thin, Coated Emp, Clear Emp ... and on and on. Tops/Bottoms/swaps/this/that ... I've been behind the kit for pushing 55 years and I've never had this kind of an issue. Blows my mind.
I've thoroughly examined the edges ...
They sound "off" to my ears. They feel a bit stiff ... flat ... like I can't sink the stick into the drum. There is a lack of sustain no matter the tensioning or the head choices. It has a somewhat focused and direct sound ... feels cold ... not an open warm woody tone that remains after the stick strikes the head.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great-looking drums there. I had set of Horizons and they sounded fine to my ears all around, though I felt the stock Evans coated heads on the toms did absolutely no favors for their sound (too dead for me). Are they too warm-sounding for your preference? I found the toms to fairly fat and full-sounding.

The kit's tune-lock lugs were a considerable frustration to me for head changes and general tensioning by feel - enough to move them on when combined with a few other niggles.

N&C is a great company to work with on a build though and they make some outstanding products.

Latest posts