SOLVED!!! - Can’t Quite Mesh With My New Custom Kit

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
It's hard to tell by the picture, but are those diecast or triple flange hoops? If they're diecast, that'd explain the lack of sustain, focused sound and hard stick feel.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Triple Flange

That's the direction I was headed ... I'm thinking these may loosen up a bit with thin wood hoops.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a big investment. I've done a tour of the factory and I know they're really standup guys who make a great product. Have you tried talking to them about it?

Anyway, my condolences. That sounds rough! I've only played one Horizon kit; even though it wasn't tuned the way I like to tune I still heard them as excellent drums.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We need to get you in touch with DFO forum member RickP. He's very knowledgeable about N&C drums, especially the Horizon series.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would play those based solely on their looks. Gorgeous drums. Sound be damned, that's what EQ is for.

Not really, but sorry you don't like them.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting or removing the suspension mounts? If the bands aren't perfectly formed, they might have squeezed them onto the lugs, which could in turn be choking the shell.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are these drums made of?

Maple and a Mahogany inner ... hence the expected soft warm woody tone that doesn't appear to be there.

Honestly, I love the kit. Just can't seem to get the sound and feel out of it that I need. That's why I ask here what am I missing or haven't thought of.

Last edited:

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in beautiful red lacquer with a 26" bass drum. People always talk about the RC being amazing drums. I could never bond with them so I sold them. None of it really inspired me for some reason. I sold the Yamahas and a set of beater Ludwigs I had pieced together in order to pick up a set of Jenkins Martin drums. Love the JM kit. I do miss the cheap Ludwig orphan kit I let go of though. There was some serious mojo with those drums. Good luck making up your mind.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To be honest, if they still don’t sound and feel right after all the head combinations you tried I would say it’s time to move on. It shouldn’t be that difficult to dial in a quality kit to your taste. No doubt N&C Horizons are a quality kit but just not your thing. Sorry to hear as I am sure it is disappointing to finally receive your new kit and it just ain’t right...good luck in whatever you decide the next step is.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dang!!!
I took delivery on a custom build Noble & Cooley Horizon kit about six months ago.
Stunning build quality and attention to detail. Absolutely zero issues with the fit and finish.

I’ve spent six months attempting to find the heads and tuning range for these drums. I can’t freekin hit it. I’ve gone through head choice after head choice after head choice - nojoy.
It just doesn’t have “that” sound and feel. It sounds like other Horizon kits … it just doesn’t inspire me. I’m not connected to it
Just a suggestion.. At least before you sell it.. MOVE it to some other rooms if you have the availability.. and try it out. Different thickness shells will sound different depending on the room and construction. This happened to me MANY times and I thought I got dud kits or something. My cement floored , wide open garage was WONDERFUL for thicker shells. HORRIBLE for my thinner kits. Once I moved my thinner shelled kits into smaller rooms in the house with carpeted floors.. it was all 110% there and then some.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They aren’t thick shells by any means. They are also not super thin. Just an average ply shell these days. The Drum Room is a new build and has new carpet. You might be on to something there. I did a full buildout when I ordered the kit. Prior to it was a wood floor. I never considered the floor as I’ve played tons of kits in that room ... PRIOR to installing carpet and doing the buildout. It just never occurred to me in this process that the floor dampening would kill a kit to this level. I’ve played plenty of sessions in carpeted rooms ... and wood etc. I’ve never had it impact this extreme.
But I’m going to move the kit into another room with a wood floor to check. I’m leaving no stone unturned.
Man, I sincerely appreciate all the help.

spelman

Reaction score
They aren’t thick shells by any means. They are also not super thin. Just an average ply shell these days. The Drum Room is a new build and has new carpet. You might be on to something there. I did a full buildout when I ordered the kit. Prior to it was a wood floor. I never considered the floor as I’ve played tons of kits in that room ... PRIOR to installing carpet and doing the buildout. It just never occurred to me in this process that the floor dampening would kill a kit to this level. I’ve played plenty of sessions in carpeted rooms ... and wood etc. I’ve never had it impact this extreme.
But I’m going to move the kit into another room with a wood floor to check. I’m leaving no stone unturned.
Man, I sincerely appreciate all the help.
From your first post:

"I’ve done everything I can think of doing. I’ve arranged the drums differently … ran through a huge assortment of heads … different tensions … different sticks … different rooms … … …"

Latest posts