SOLVED!!! - Can’t Quite Mesh With My New Custom Kit

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a longshot but it sounds like you've tried everything else. If the lugs and/or other hardware are tightened too hard to the shell then that could cause enough of a bind to kill some sustain. It wouldn't be expensive to check the tighness of those screws.

OR you could rule out the mounting system having an issue by holding the toms with your fingers by the hoops, letting them hang free, and then hitting them. If they sound good that way then the problem is in the mounting and not in the drums.

I hope you can still get this figured out or at least move on to something that has the right stuff for you.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A cheap might be to try thinner triple flanged hoops. I am assuming your kit has 2.3mm hoops. How about pick up some 1.6mm hoops from drum factory direct. Yamaha uses thinner triple flanged hoops on the recording customs to open up the sound. I played recording custom the thin hoops for 15+ years and there is a difference in feel and ease of getting an open sound.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any problem at all...you said it yourself, you just didn't have a connection with the kit. You picked up a PDP and you did get a connection...awesome. I had a similar issue when I bought a Pearl Reference kit...looked fantastic but I just couldn't get them to sound/feel right for me. I ended up trying out a Tama Starclassic kit that I immediately bonded with and got rid of the Reference kit. No harm, no foul....the Pearl's just didn't end up being a good fit for me.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From your first post:

"I’ve done everything I can think of doing. I’ve arranged the drums differently … ran through a huge assortment of heads … different tensions … different sticks … different rooms … … …"

The Sunroom is carpeted, also ... as is the spare ... the two other rooms I set up. I’m going to shift to the Weight Room Gym which is still wood floors to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes that's the way it goes. I've enjoyed a Catalina kit more than a set I had which was 5x more.

nicmilliner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those drums really do look amazing but it seems to me that f the PDP Classics have the feel and tone you are looking for then the N&C kit was pretty far off the mark. And it should be as the desired sound of those two kits seem like polar opposites to me. The good news is you love the PDP kit and someone somewhere will love the N&Cs. I would move them and enjoy your PDP kit :)

mesazoo

Reaction score
I may have missed it but what was the custom elements?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
To be honest, if they still don’t sound and feel right after all the head combinations you tried I would say it’s time to move on. It shouldn’t be that difficult to dial in a quality kit to your taste. No doubt N&C Horizons are a quality kit but just not your thing. Sorry to hear as I am sure it is disappointing to finally receive your new kit and it just ain’t right...good luck in whatever you decide the next step is.
I agree.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may have missed it but what was the custom elements?
It’s the first of two kits I’m picking up for a film. It was built with my specific requirements. The shade of the finish, the hardware, the badge placement, the sizes, the brass nameplate on the bass, etc etc.
it’s not an off the shelf kit. There are subtle items I needed specific for this film.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s the first of two kits I’m picking up for a film. It was built with my specific requirements. The shade of the finish, the hardware, the badge placement, the sizes, the brass nameplate on the bass, etc etc.
it’s not an off the shelf kit. There are subtle items I needed specific for this film.

Ok, not to highjsck the conversation, but now I’m really curious about this film you mentioned... tell us more? (What is it? What’s your involvement? Etc.)

Sucky situation to be in, though, for sure. I hope you find a satisfactory fix that doesn’t involve having to say bye to such a gorgeous set of drums!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
… well … this is uncomfortable.

It seems that in my quest for sound isolation in the Drum Room buildout, I overshot the goal.
For those of you keeping score at home ... The “ROOM” variable was the culprit.

When I had previously checked the toms in the Sunroom and such, the head choice was not optimum. They happen to have the 2ply clear heads on them at the time … dumb luck.

The toms are currently skinned with Aquarian TC batters and CC on the resos. I set them up in the sunroom (which is carpeted ...but has a high ceiling and large windows) … the drums opened up beautifully. Same results in the wood Weight Room Gym.

To be sure, I grabbed the 12 tom and recorded it as I walked through the house from room to room … according to the playback - the results were clear. The Drum Room will have to be done over. It’s too dead for my requirements.

... for those that are wondering "why" I would deaden a room ... Drums are not the only thing I record in this room.

I am extremely embarrassed … and very relieved. I KNEW that I KNEW I was missing something … I knew I had overlooked some freekin variable … I just couldn’t see it ... frustrated the HECK out of me.

This is precisely why I respect this forum so much. The knowledge base here is extremely deep. Someone here was going to solve this one.

Thank you. Sincerely … thank you.

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
… well … this is uncomfortable.

For those of you keeping score at home ... The “ROOM” variable was the culprit.

Thank you. Sincerely … thank you.
HAHA !! Ok.. what prize are you going to send me !! ?? LOL

I KNEW this was the issue. I have had many kits where I ran into this problem.. and once I experimented with other rooms.. I figured it out.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
HAHA !! Ok.. what prize are you going to send me !! ?? LOL

I KNEW this was the issue. I have had many kits where I ran into this problem.. and once I experimented with other rooms.. I figured it out.

PM me your shipping address, please.

nicmilliner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once had the same maple kit on tour (with the same head combination and fairly consistent tuning) for about 5 years and played a wide variety of rooms. The truth is that the room makes a big difference.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great news! Nothing is worse then spending a ton of money on something and then not being happy.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I did the same thing with my studio. Too dead. I put in some mirrors and viola! Problem solved. Also, I would've gigged with the kit. Real glad you figured it out. Beautiful kit there.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did the same thing with my studio. Too dead. I put in some mirrors and viola! Problem solved. Also, I would've gigged with the kit. Real glad you figured it out. Beautiful kit there.
I don't get how mirrors livened the sound, Dan? I am doing a drum studio in my house and bought a bunch of foam squares/corners for insulation....now you got me re-thinkin'......

Latest posts