SOLVED!!! - Can’t Quite Mesh With My New Custom Kit

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm very happy you went around the house and found out where they sing. I live in an older house; my practice room has heart-of-pine floors and plaster walls. I thought it would sound horrible with drums in there, but danged if it isn't like a recording studio - no matter what kit I have in there, the drums sound like a million bucks. Room sound is everything.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't get how mirrors livened the sound, Dan? I am doing a drum studio in my house and bought a bunch of foam squares/corners for insulation....now you got me re-thinkin'......
I'm not Dan, or an expert, but I think you'll find that the more extensive studio acoustic treatment is for mixing environments, not necessarily tracking or playing rooms. After treating just enough to stop some unwanted or annoying reflections, you might want to stop. Plus, some treatment might actually unbalance your sound because they remove too much in certain ranges, thereby leaving the ones they don't absorb too loud.

Check this out, it was posted a while back. These drums sound amazing, and the room is a huge part of it. Brick walls and a wood floor.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
… well … this is uncomfortable.

It seems that in my quest for sound isolation in the Drum Room buildout, I overshot the goal.
For those of you keeping score at home ... The “ROOM” variable was the culprit.

When I had previously checked the toms in the Sunroom and such, the head choice was not optimum. They happen to have the 2ply clear heads on them at the time … dumb luck.

The toms are currently skinned with Aquarian TC batters and CC on the resos. I set them up in the sunroom (which is carpeted ...but has a high ceiling and large windows) … the drums opened up beautifully. Same results in the wood Weight Room Gym.

To be sure, I grabbed the 12 tom and recorded it as I walked through the house from room to room … according to the playback - the results were clear. The Drum Room will have to be done over. It’s too dead for my requirements.

... for those that are wondering "why" I would deaden a room ... Drums are not the only thing I record in this room.

I am extremely embarrassed … and very relieved. I KNEW that I KNEW I was missing something … I knew I had overlooked some freekin variable … I just couldn’t see it ... frustrated the HECK out of me.

This is precisely why I respect this forum so much. The knowledge base here is extremely deep. Someone here was going to solve this one.

Thank you. Sincerely … thank you.
Honestly I would just float the floor where the drums are setuo instead of rebuilding the room. There are a few ways to do this. If your ceiling is high enough, building a 1-2’ high stage would open up the drums quite a bit.

I use thick rubber mats under my kit in a carpeted room and they isolate it from the floor, which makes them sound great. I’m talking about 1” thick appliance or cattle mats. Very heavy and that’s how they do the job.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The mirrors are reflective surfaces and brightened up the room which I had carpeted the walls.

It’s a small space but it sounds good. Guess I got lucky....

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Glad it all worked out! Now go enjoy that wonderful kit ;-)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good for the OP. Now rock on, buddy!

I get it now....thanks. My room is "L" shaped, but has regular walls and wood floors. I will have some area rugs under 2 separate drum sets, and just bought some of those square foam and corner foam thingies to make the room look cooler! I will be setting up mikes and a digital recorder but that's not gonna happen for a few months and will be the basis for a separate thread.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been lurking this thread to see where it went. My most expensive kit is an old Starclassic Performer (birch), my other kits are 60s Rogers. So I have no perspective on a $4500 kit but felt bad for what you were going through.

My drum room is a 1953 rancher basement with (almost) 7ft ceilings, block walls, sheetrock ceiling over the kit. Drums are 8" off the ground on a platform sitting on conder blocks (in case of water). Suffice to say NOT an acoustic friendly environment.

ALL my kits sound bad in this space to (my) the naked ear. BUT take them outside? That is when they sound their best.

The other thing that sirprised me is recording using a set of pretty decent Audix mics. I was like "wow, those are my drums?" Lol. Nit at all what I was hearing with my ears.

Saying all that to say this-yep, the room has more impact than anything else (heads, tuning, shells, even price maybe ) on how a kit will "sound" in my experience as well.

Really glad you were able to figure it out MC.

edge

Reaction score
I had a Noble and Cooley Horizon original kit, they were great but did not get me excited, I had a Star Series solid maple kit that also had its moments but did not keep a hold of me, had a CD Maples kit that really blew me away, goes to show that it is personal, I love the sound of those PDP kits and think I would like them, for me it always come back to Gretsch. I have a Camco bop kit in route. I grew up playing Camco so this will be iteresting to see what they do for me.

Latest posts