Some advice on buying a low-cost bop kit

shnootre

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Catalina Elite. I think it’s going to be every bit good enough for my purposes, and I don’t think I’ll beat the price. I already have a snare set aside for that kit - and if I need better drums they are available right in the building. The idea is just to have something I can bash between classes or during occasional free hours. Now I have to grab a couple of cheap cymbal stands and a hihat stand...

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a nice one. A student of mine just bought it. Comes with everything but cymbals and throne.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Catalina Elite
I pulled the trigger on the Catalina Elite. I think it’s going to be every bit good enough for my purposes, and I don’t think I’ll beat the price. I already have a snare set aside for that kit - and if I need better drums they are available right in the building. The idea is just to have something I can bash between classes or during occasional free hours. Now I have to grab a couple of cheap cymbal stands and a hihat stand...
Good move!!

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Catalina drums are great! The Elites are probably the coolest of the bunch, love those Gretsch center lugs... I think you’ll find the build quality better than it should be for the price. The snare is the weakest link, but sounds like you don’t need it anyway. Throw a cymbal mount on the bd, add a crashable ride, and you’re in business with no cymbal stands! I like the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA - it’s only $40, extremely easy to install using the gasket as template, and perfectly functional.

I know Ive said it before, but inexpensive bop kits often make for a fun, terrific sounding set. They get closest to the ‘classic’ bop sound in many cases. For ease of use, you can’t beat them. Enjoy!

shnootre

Reaction score
Catalina drums are great! The Elites are probably the coolest of the bunch, love those Gretsch center lugs... I think you’ll find the build quality better than it should be for the price. The snare is the weakest link, but sounds like you don’t need it anyway. Throw a cymbal mount on the bd, add a crashable ride, and you’re in business with no cymbal stands! I like the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA - it’s only $40, extremely easy to install using the gasket as template, and perfectly functional.

I know Ive said it before, but inexpensive bop kits often make for a fun, terrific sounding set. They get closest to the ‘classic’ bop sound in many cases. For ease of use, you can’t beat them. Enjoy!
This is great - andthanks for the Gibraltar idea, complete with model number. My very next thing is to grab a cheap hihat stand and maybe a crash stand - and I want cheap ones!! (but not so cheap that the damn thing tips when you put a cymbal on it). That bass-mounted ride idea is perfect.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
You could do worse than the Tama Classic series hi hat and cymbal stand (the $99 pedal is insanely good for the money as well). Another good match would be the Gibraltar 8700 series flat base hat stand and cymbal stand. There’s nothing like some flat base stands with a bop kit... Especially with your vintage-y looking kit, they’d be uber classy.

Tama Classic and Gib 8700 will both run you about $90-$100 for hat stand and $50-$60 for cymbal stand. I prefer the Tama just because they have a more genuine vintage look, but I have both and they both work well. I guess I’d give a slight edge to Tama for lightweightness and a slight edge to Gib for beefiness. To each his own.

shnootre

Reaction score
You could do worse than the Tama Classic series hi hat and cymbal stand (the $99 pedal is insanely good for the money as well). Another good match would be the Gibraltar 8700 series flat base hat stand and cymbal stand. There’s nothing like some flat base stands with a bop kit... Especially with your vintage-y looking kit, they’d be uber classy.

Tama Classic and Gib 8700 will both run you about $90-$100 for hat stand and $50-$60 for cymbal stand. I prefer the Tama just because they have a more genuine vintage look, but I have both and they both work well. I guess I’d give a slight edge to Tama for lightweightness and a slight edge to Gib for beefiness. To each his own.
Awesome - thanks so much for this advice!

David M Scott

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a bop-sized shell pack (either 18", 12" and 14", or, my preference but seemingly rare, 18", 10" and 14") for use in my university office (in a school of music - where I teach, but not drums!)
There is no rush, since who knows if we'll even be back in the fall...
But I'm wondering if some could give me guidance. I'd be perfectly happy to buy used, but I don't know exactly what to look for. Right now there's a Gretch Catalina Elite w/ my chosen dimensions on eBay for $370 shipped - seems like a pretty good deal, but I don't know anything about that model (I think it's an early version of the Catalina Club?).
I've looked at the Yamaha Stage Custom birch bebop kits and they look pretty nice, and also have looked at the Sonor AQ2s, though they're a bit pricier. I'd like to stay below $500 for the shell pack if possible. I am happy to look out for used kits and wait till I spot a deal, but I'd love some guidance on what to look for. This kit would not be used for gigging or anything - mainly just practice or possibly two-person jams in a mostly jazzy setting.
I downsized 5 years ago to a Sonor Safari kit. 16inch kick, 10inch mounted tom, 14inch floor and a 4 x 14 inch snare. typically well built Sonor but only cost $370 deld to my door.
the projection from these drums is amazing for their size and in fact for most Jazz gigs I mute them a little. I also changed heads using Evans 56 Calftones in Toms, Remo Fibreskyn on snare and Remo pinstripe for kick batter. The only time I have to mike is when doing Classic Rock/Country and I do the kick.
i also switch out the snare with my ‘69 vintage 10 lug heavy chrome Pearl snare but otherwise the originals are great. Sonor used a combination of Basswood and Poplar that is crossed to make the shells and they really put out so they’d be great for your office setting. ... and you get great Sonor hardware and wrap.

nk126

Reaction score
Why not, just buy an American say vintage Slingerland 16 X 16 (or Rogers, or Ludwig what you find anywhere on CL ....) And convert it to bass then add some extras snare, tom etc around it...
At least you'd have "good" wood.
I did something like this a few years back when I came upon a Rogers 16 x 16 with wood hoops for cheap in a used music store. Super easy to put spurs in the floor tom leg mounts and use it as a kick - though I never tried to lift the drum off the ground, so my beater was striking off-center. Fun to play, but I quickly found myself wanting a shallower kick. I eventually wound up getting 20 and 12 shells and built a traditional kit out, as opposed to using the 16 as a kick. Still, a super fun project.

little rock

Reaction score
Been using my Catalina Club kit for bar band gigs and works fine including the snare. Something that the Clubs has that I don't think the others mentioned have is an eight lug floor tom.

shnootre

Reaction score

Just ordered the Gibraltar 8700 pack. I liked the Tama too, but w the Gibraltar one of the cymbal stands was a boom, so it conformed exactly to what I need. W a Musician’s Friend coupon I spent just over $200 for a snare stand, hihat stand, and two cymbal stands, one of them a boom. Hard to beat that!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned a lot of boos kits over the years
and then be of my favourites was an INDe bop kit with an 18 x 12” bass drum . They sound great , are extremely lightweight and are not crazy expensive . In fact if I was in the market for another 18/12/14 kit I would grab another INDe kit .

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for something well under a $1000 then something like a Gretsch Catalina would work . I had one of these in a nice Walnut Glaze lacquer finish that I used for rehearsals . The snare absolutely sucked so I did not buy it . The toms and and bass drums were fine , not the clearest tone or loudest a drums but they are fine drums that you can gig with .

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the SPL bop kit and I'm pretty happy with it.
I picked up a brand new SPL bop kit for $139 with free shipping from MF about 18 months ago. MF and Music123 were in a race to the bottom, so to speak. Each trying to out do each other on price.

I use mine for practice and I have to say they sound great for an inexpensive kit. To my surprise, the hardware (tom mount and hoops) are quite beefy.

I ended up selling the snare for $50 to someone local, so for the 3 piece shell pack I only have $89. I'm happy.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MF and Music123 were in a race to the bottom, so to speak. Each trying to out do each other on price.
Aren't GC, MF and M123 all the same company? It's interesting that you can find a GC website competing against a GC website. Do they all ship from the same warehouse?

shnootre

Reaction score
I got a Catlina Elite used on ebay. $300. But then $40 for a proper tom mount, and $25 for a kick lifter, and now $200 on hardware (stands) it all adds up to more than nothing. But the drums sound great in my office, and they’re likely not going anywhere. I have high ceilings in there and they really sing.