Some Gretsch praise - holding tune

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since I'm stuck at home and have no gigs on the horizon, I decided to take down my home set and set up my 'jazz' gigging setup. The bulk of my work the last 18 months or so has been either rock or big band, and that setup uses 12/13/15/16/22. The small group setup uses 10/12/14/15/20, physically similar, but pitched about a third higher across the board. It's been a while since I used the smaller drums, and wanted to get them out for a change.

To my very great surprise, when I sat down to play them, I only needed minor tweaking of the 14" tom, but otherwise everything sounded ready for gigging! The 10 and 14 have been in their bags in my garage for 18 months, and they're still in tune! It also tells me that my tuning in general has been very constant, since the bigger drums were right with them.

These are tuned higher than my regular home kit, a six piece Catalina Maple, and the different sound has been very stimulating.

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Those die cast hoops really help in keeping drums in tune . I noticed that when I had my Gretsch kits . Some drum companies have started putting delrin inserts into their lugs to lock in tuning . Sonor plus Noble and Cooley are two that come to mind right away .

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
continual Gretsch (USA) owner here for 45 years since 1975 can attest

Last edited:

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should also note for those unfamiliar with my kits that these drums were rewrapped 20 years ago by Jim Petty, and have seen regular and frequent use ever since. Also, the bass drum in the picture and the largest floor tom are round badge drums. It's a tribute to Gretsch manufacturing that they're all still round. When I got it the 14x20 bass drum was gold satin flame that had been painted over with white latex house paint.

Latest posts