some help please !

gill

Reaction score
hi everybody !

I need some help pleazzz :wink:

I have recently found this snare and i don't know what it is ..

there 's no brand on the shell ..

thanks a lot !! gill

onemat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It looks like an early Ludwig Supersensitive. Someone here will ID it for you with more specifics. Is there not a badge? Anything stamped or written inside the shell.
Matt

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not at my home computer so I don't have access to my catalogs, Does that have slotted tension rods?? At the end of the snare lever(top), is there thumb screw to tighten the extension to the lever??

If all that is true then, it's likely British, maybe Carlton, Ajax..... The thing that puzzles me is the squareness of the bead

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
we didnt welcome him either. so,welcome to the forum gill!! :D

mike

gill

Reaction score
i'm soorry cj, impossible to me to reply quickly ...

anyway, I think you're right captain.. :wink:

the tensions rods are sloted,no marks, no brand in the shell..

it is an english snare ,with a really beautifull and fonctionnal throw-off,and NOB SHELL AND RIMS..

it's an heavier drum ,and she had calf skin heads..

thank you guys for your help :wink: gill

gill

Reaction score
yes, you 're right ,rob :wink:

can you tell me why is interresting ? :roll:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Supras have a round bead .... not square. Also, looking again at the lugs while they do look like Imperials and more like the earlier Imperials they don't have that clean art deco look of either series. Close !!!!! but no cigar.

Robb

Donn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Surely not a Ludwig, even though the lugs are copies of the Imperial lug. The rest of the drum looks vaguely Carltonish, especially that honking throw-off.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another British company, and I can't remember who, copied the Leedy X-lug. I'm starting to wonder if Conn exported these parts to the UK; perhaps they weren't copies at all. The first Ludwig snares with Imperial lugs did indeed have 1/2 hex shaped center beads, and the lugs were cut out to match that bead. Maybe Conn sent some of those shells to the UK, too.

Gill, can you post pics of the shell's interior?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Gill welcome aboard. Check the nuts on the mechanism or anyplace else on the drum and if they're metric there's a good chance its from across the pond. I had a Beverly snare with a similar bead. Anyway its a beauty.BennyK.

DrumLug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Ludwig 1935 & 1938 Silver Anniversary had a square bead.... as did the Super Ludwigs in that period.

mpholbrook

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Gill! As stated, the Silver Anniversary Super Sensitives and Super Ludwigs had that squared bead, rather than the more familiar round bead. Can you tell me if those lugs have threads actually tapped into them, or are they using inserts? The shell and lugs look like they may be from a '35 - '38 Ludwig & Ludwig, but the throw doesn't look right. Neither do the hoops and rods. The L&L's should have the double-flanged brass hoops, not clips. Maybe a multinational Franken-drum??? :?

Latest posts