Some "New" cymbals and my Round Badge Gretsch

deegeebee

Reaction score
15" Old A. Zildjian Hi-Hats 921/1359 grams

22" K Constantinople Over Hammered Ride 2208 grams

24" Old A. Zildjian 2849 grams

VF BOLERO SD2 Stick Gretsch Round Badge Drums 14X5.5/12x8/14x14/18x14

Remo Coated Ambassadors top and bottom of all drums

Not a perfect performance in any way. But I wasn't going for perfect. Just got the 24" From Steve Maxwell's Drum Shop yesterday.

22" came today from Reverb. Hi hats off Reverb came a few days ago.
Fantastic! You have something right there that is very close to my dream kit, in almost every respect. Very Brian Blade. Some day.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Those sound so good together. How's going to a 24" after using smaller cymbals as a main for a while? The bell on the A is so nice. As is your touch, as always.

I'm jealous of that 22" Overhammered. I was eyeing it as well. Probably too light for me, though. Just such a pretty sound through the speakers.

Which one would work best with rivets do you think, the 22" or the 24"?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds gorgeous! That's a real departure from your other sound, lusher. Play them in good health!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Those sound so good together. How's going to a 24" after using smaller cymbals as a main for a while? The bell on the A is so nice. As is your touch, as always.

I'm jealous of that 22" Overhammered. I was eyeing it as well. Probably too light for me, though. Just such a pretty sound through the speakers.

Which one would work best with rivets do you think, the 22" or the 24"?

Don't know which to rivet yet. Probably the 24" cause I like to have the option of having a drier secondary ride and I will use the 22" as a crash...so don't want rivets in there.

BUT the 24" has a lot of wash so.....

I also could do the Brian Blade thing....I have my 22" Sabian Manhattan ride..could put that on the far right and have rivets in there!

I love Blade's 24" old A. Ill have to go watch videos. That one with Kenny Barron in the Canopus Ad....lots of close ups.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like rivets in left side and a far right....none in Main Ride?

Last edited:

deegeebee

Reaction score
Don't know which to rivet yet. Probably the 24" cause I like to have the option of having a drier secondary ride and I will use the 22" as a crash...so don't want rivets in there.

BUT the 24" has a lot of wash so.....

I also could do the Brian Blade thing....I have my 22" Sabian Manhattan ride..could put that on the far right and have rivets in there!

I love Blade's 24" old A. Ill have to go watch videos. That one with Kenny Barron in the Canopus Ad....lots of close ups.
You all know this is going to end in a beat to snot Spizz.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Assuming you are after a Brian Blade setup.

No. I'm after a Tom Killian version of a Brian Blade set up....right now I think Im set. I have my 22" Sabian Manhattan for the far right...

so its close enough for me

Now I see what you are saying. Yeah..his Spizz are great of course. Totally.

If I want my hats and 22" over hammered thinned up a little bit/ trashier Ill send them to Jesse Simpson and he can "Spizzify" them :p

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Different Angle. I made of few mistakes. Meh. Still worthing posting.

Damn....ALL of these cymbals sounds amazing to me. YES. The 24" sounds like an old K to me. BUt that over hammered is killing me too. Same as hats.

Just for fun I am going to make same demo but with my Sound Creation, 18 K dark thin and 13" K custom darks

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's "easier" to make "mistakes' with old (or .. Cymbals. (raw- er
I wouldn't worry about it Art, Philly etc didn't bother
but there is (it seems) that I notice it; Z's are (from either continent more 'raw)
like wild animals? ; ) (never possible to fully tame ; ) that's an allowance you make and/or accept, (or not ; )
It sometimes gives vibrancy to the performance

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont know. I think 1960s. But with right touch they work great and actually if you think about it they are slightly under new beat weight.

I dont like my hi hats too thin or dark...if I were OCD I could send them to get thinned down a a bit.

The 24" is magic. Its fun to play..I love the stick feel.

I love that I can play super soft on it...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just for fun I am going to make same demo but with my Sound Creation, 18 K dark thin and 13" K custom darks
make it with the same song) I think these cymbals sound more like Al's cymbals' than Al's do.

Reaction score
Those all sound really good together, the cymbal God's were smiling upon you my friend. You have "evolved" at a lightning pace. I think I remember you saying pretty recently (something like) "I like having a dedicated crash," and "I can only play 13's." To now having no "dedicated crash" and 15's.

Now comes the hard part (for you.) If you love them so much........
Just keep them!!!!!!

Congrats,
MSG

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still dont like 14" hats. Something ODD about that :)

I was able to watch and hear videos of the cymbals which really helped.

Yeah. Keep them

I have to say Im So burnt out trying to sell stuff I dont think it will be hard to keep them

Latest posts