Some "New" cymbals and my Round Badge Gretsch

Old Drummer

Reaction score
At first listen, I loved the 24"--but found myself thinking that its appeal had a lot to do with how well you controlled it. Under the stick of a lesser talent (say me), I suspect that the 24" could get out of control fast.

At subsequent listens, my opinion of the 24" declined (while my admiration of your playing remained high). The 24" just seemed plain to me, which I guess is my opinion of all old As. It's certainly a playable cymbal, at least for someone who can control it, but I didn't see it as especially interesting or unique.

At first listen, I didn't care for the 22", and subsequent listens didn't cause me to revise my opinion upward by a lot. It's a more interesting cymbal than the 24", but almost seems too specialized. I don't see it as deserving a regular place in a two-cymbal setup.

The hats made no real impression on me at all. They seem fine, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Overall my take is that a star celebrity drummer could play this exact cymbal setup for an entire career and no one would fault them for their cymbals. But a drummer who wasn't wedded to these exact cymbals would probably continue to look around for others. For me, the 24" would be the hardest to let go, but I suspect that it could be improved upon too.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Been overwhelmed /depressed with work so I havent been here posting at my usual level(which was too much anyway)

"I'll be back"

Don't know when. But I'll be back

deegeebee

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Been overwhelmed /depressed with work so I havent been here posting at my usual level(which was too much anyway)

"I'll be back"

Don't know when. But I'll be back
Stay strong. Struggleing with a nasty mix of work and quarentine stress here too. Looking forward to more of your videos with this sweet setup once you are back in business.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is your cymbal case or bag large enough to fit the 24"? My trap case with a cymbal section is limited to 22" as is my soft-sided cymbal bag.

Latest posts