Some Regal Tip Love

kzoosteve

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the posts the past year or so putting doubt into the availability of sticks, etc...I was a bit worried when I placed an order for 5 pairs of 5A Maples directly on their site. Was super happy to see that they shipped the same day and will be arriving tomorrow! As a long time Regal Tip fan, I've been a bit concerned their business was doing OK with the posted here and there as they are one business that I've always supported. I'm not saying this one order is the end all showing promise, but I'm hopeful it's a good sign :)

-Steve

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cool. If they really wanted to do direct they'd let people choose the weight, at the least "light, medium, or heavy"

kzoosteve

Reaction score
That's cool. If they really wanted to do direct they'd let people choose the weight, at the least "light, medium, or heavy"
That's something I'm surprised manufacturers don't do overall (vic firth, etc..). If you're matching the sticks, I'd think it would be pretty easy to have a weight range that puts them in a category like your saying (light/med/heavy)...this is why I order 5 pairs at once (to weed out the ones I like vs don't).

-Steve

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's something I'm surprised manufacturers don't do overall (vic firth, etc..). If you're matching the sticks, I'd think it would be pretty easy to have a weight range that puts them in a category like your saying (light/med/heavy)...this is why I order 5 pairs at once (to weed out the ones I like vs don't).

-Steve
Well.. firth does that for a brick.. 12 pair, 4 of each weight range. Endorsers get to pick gram weights.

It's not rocket science :) Can you return what you don't like to Regal ?

kzoosteve

Reaction score
Honestly, I've never tried to return a pair. My guess is they would take them back, but for the hassle and shipping cost, I just assume hang on to the extras for backups.

Regarding the Firth bricks, I never knew they did that :).....pretty cool actually....

-Steve

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I'm not seeing what I want on the site. It's a little scary. I got a pair of VF double-glaze sticks and, while they're better than standard, they don't quite have the lacquer feel that I rely on. Dry fingers crossed.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With all the posts the past year or so putting doubt into the availability of sticks, etc...I was a bit worried when I placed an order for 5 pairs of 5A Maples directly on their site. Was super happy to see that they shipped the same day and will be arriving tomorrow! As a long time Regal Tip fan, I've been a bit concerned their business was doing OK with the posted here and there as they are one business that I've always supported. I'm not saying this one order is the end all showing promise, but I'm hopeful it's a good sign :)

-Steve
It’s tough for them right now. I’m still hoping they can recover. But meantime I’m buying as many pairs of sticks and brushes as I can find and afford.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like everything is out of stock. How long does it take? I bet you one guy could make sticks.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I do love Regal Tips, but I wish they wouldn't have discontinued the JC model. I went around and bought up about 20 pairs when they discontinued them.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do love Regal Tips, but I wish they wouldn't have discontinued the JC model. I went around and bought up about 20 pairs when they discontinued them.
That was a big sign. JC is Joe Calato, founder, inventor and patriarch of the family. Thankfully he is still with us. The day to day of the company has passed to his granddaughter.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of course I got as many straight RT Jazz nylon tips as I could when the local store couldn't get them anymore, but my only 5A's are pretty old now. It's the narrow shoulder on the 5A's that makes the difference compared to the other popular makes.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not raining on the parade, but I’ve never owned a pair of Regal Tips, so what makes drummers rave about them?

I use Vater Manhattans normally and really like them, but if they were discontinued, I’m pretty sure I’d be able to find something else and just move on. But Regal Tip players seem to get frantic when they can’t get there’s.

Can this be explained, or do I have to buy a pair to find out the magic? :)

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not raining on the parade, but I’ve never owned a pair of Regal Tips, so what makes drummers rave about them?

I use Vater Manhattans normally and really like them, but if they were discontinued, I’m pretty sure I’d be able to find something else and just move on. But Regal Tip players seem to get frantic when they can’t get there’s.

Can this be explained, or do I have to buy a pair to find out the magic? :)
They're heavily lacquered in a way that I haven't really seen with other brands. I had a pair of old Pro Mark Oak that had the same kind of lacquer, but besides those I can't recall anything else. It's a dense, glossy lacquer. (Not all of Regal Tip sticks are lacquered, but to me, that's the "classic" Regal Tip feel).

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're heavily lacquered in a way that I haven't really seen with other brands. I had a pair of old Pro Mark Oak that had the same kind of lacquer, but besides those I can't recall anything else. It's a dense, glossy lacquer. (Not all of Regal Tip sticks are lacquered, but to me, that's the "classic" Regal Tip feel).
Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I can understand the brand loyalty, and maybe they have a special feel, but man, there are an awful lot of sticks to choose from these days, just like drums and cymbals.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spray shellac Firth's with three coats of Bullseye. That gets it close. The first coat really just penetrates the wood and the next two are what makes it happen. No sanding. This is the bottom half of the stick mind you..

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I can understand the brand loyalty, and maybe they have a special feel, but man, there are an awful lot of sticks to choose from these days, just like drums and cymbals.
Nobody makes the models the way they make them. They are balanced well and the lacquer helps the grip. But I agree there are a lot of sticks out there. I have been using regal tip jazz wood tip for a long time but recently went searching for something to replace them. It was a worthwhile adventure since sticks change the feel and sound of the instrument. I found some Vater and Firth that work. But i still am partial to Regal Tio Jazz.

khoop

Reaction score
Varatrodder, I know what you mean about the JC's. I didn't know they were discontinued until it was too late. I also liked the Jake Hanna's but they have also been discontinued .