Some Regal Tip Love

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their sticks that are painted in different colors? The website says that they feel similar to their lacquered sticks.
I use them. They make the 5BX in Black for me. The way they do the color on the sticks is a little different than other brands. They mix it with the lacquer so it feels the same and keeps that grip that so many of us have come to rely on. Doesn't really come off on cymbals at all. The first couple batches I got did rub off on my hands, but they made a change last year and since then I haven't had that issue. In fact whatever change they made was 100x better. The color isn't as glossy looking, a little more satin finish, and it lasts much longer. Take days of playing for it to finally start to chip off the sticks.

I've been using Regal Tip for almost 30 years. Sure, I've tried other brand, but I always ended up coming back to them. The 5BX has been my stick of choice since it was first introduced in 2001. It's just the perfect size, weight, and balance.

Like VF, as mentioned before, and I'm sure most brand do this too, the models are mixed weight when they ship to stores. This is to make sure that one place doesn't get a brick of all light sticks, and another gets a brick of all heavy. They try to keep it even. As an artist I do get the perk of being able to request all heavy weight sticks when I order.

kzoosteve

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I've been using Regal Tip for almost 30 years. Sure, I've tried other brand, but I always ended up coming back to them."

I think that really sums it up for me as well. The VF double glazes are pretty good, I've tried the at home methods I've seen online etc..., but for me, I always end up using them...just a perfect balance of grip and balance in my hands

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not raining on the parade, but I’ve never owned a pair of Regal Tips, so what makes drummers rave about them?

I use Vater Manhattans normally and really like them, but if they were discontinued, I’m pretty sure I’d be able to find something else and just move on. But Regal Tip players seem to get frantic when they can’t get there’s.

Can this be explained, or do I have to buy a pair to find out the magic? :)
Weight, balance, feel and most of all THE LACQUER FINISH.

When they start making straight sticks again, I’ll switch back to Regals. In the mean time (about 20 years), I do like the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Stick and the Jazz series sticks (J2’s). But, they’re not Regals.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spray shellac Firth's with three coats of Bullseye. That gets it close. The first coat really just penetrates the wood and the next two are what makes it happen. No sanding. This is the bottom half of the stick mind you..
I use the same, but brush it on. Works like a charm.

I honestly don't care for the feel of the Regal Tips I've tried. Vic Firth is my stick, and I've found many models that play and feel the way I like. The finish is my only complaint (I have dry hands), so started applying the Bullseye a couple of years ago. Solves my issue, and I'm not model-limited.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I use Vater Manhattans normally and really like them, but if they were discontinued, I’m pretty sure I’d be able to find something else and just move on. But Regal Tip players seem to get frantic when they can’t get there’s.

As others have mentioned, the finish and the balance are different than any other makers. The VF double glaze is close, but still not the same.

I have EXTREMELY dry hands - as in my hands don't sweat at all when I play - and Regal Tip help with that a lot. They get tackier as they warm up. Vater is like the polar opposite of RT, and slip right out of my hands. Their finish (and unfinished sticks) are made for sweaty players. I can't hang on to a pair of Vater to save my life.

Also the balance of the RT sticks is different (at least on the models I use). I use the JC model and it has a bit of a reverse taper, which was much more common 50 years ago. There are a few models out there with a reverse taper, but not many. You normally see it on concert sticks. A few come to mind: VF AJ6, VF Keith Carlock (which is based on his RT Session model), Vater Matrix, Regal Tip Session, Regal Tip Billy Martin.

I've tried replicating the RT finish, but haven't been able to do it yet. Shellac is too slippery. Clear acrylic was close. Deft nitrocellulose was closest, but that stuff is nasty to deal with.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the finish and the balance are different than any other makers. The VF double glaze is close, but still not the same.

I have EXTREMELY dry hands - as in my hands don't sweat at all when I play - and Regal Tip help with that a lot. They get tackier as they warm up. Vater is like the polar opposite of RT, and slip right out of my hands. Their finish (and unfinished sticks) are made for sweaty players. I can't hang on to a pair of Vater to save my life.

Also the balance of the RT sticks is different (at least on the models I use). I use the JC model and it has a bit of a reverse taper, which was much more common 50 years ago. There are a few models out there with a reverse taper, but not many. You normally see it on concert sticks. A few come to mind: VF AJ6, VF Keith Carlock (which is based on his RT Session model), Vater Matrix, Regal Tip Session, Regal Tip Billy Martin.

I've tried replicating the RT finish, but haven't been able to do it yet. Shellac is too slippery. Clear acrylic was close. Deft nitrocellulose was closest, but that stuff is nasty to deal with.
One thing no one has talked about, what’s up with the Regal Tip core? Looks like pencil lead that can be seen from the butt end. Maybe that’s the secret to their feel and balance. Anyone know?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing no one has talked about, what’s up with the Regal Tip core? Looks like pencil lead that can be seen from the butt end. Maybe that’s the secret to their feel and balance. Anyone know?
It's a remains of a short plastic pin that's used to dip the sticks in to the lacquer.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Not raining on the parade, but I’ve never owned a pair of Regal Tips, so what makes drummers rave about them?

Yes. I’m in Australia and I’m terrified that they don’t have a distributor here any more. There’s no stick like them.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered 3 pairs of 5a maple from their site and they arrived in 2 days; a day before I got a shipping notification.
Guess they still have some models in stock.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're heavily lacquered in a way that I haven't really seen with other brands. I had a pair of old Pro Mark Oak that had the same kind of lacquer, but besides those I can't recall anything else. It's a dense, glossy lacquer. (Not all of Regal Tip sticks are lacquered, but to me, that's the "classic" Regal Tip feel).
It's more than just the finish, although that is a unique attribute. They always felt livelier than other brands. It could be the tapers and / or wood quality. The older ones were better, IMO. I still have a couple of pair from the 70's and the dimensions were a little more to my liking...especially the "Rock" model, which is now a bit larger in diameter.

Parad1ddle

Reaction score
It's a remains of a short plastic pin that's used to dip the sticks in to the lacquer.
With all the posts the past year or so putting doubt into the availability of sticks, etc...I was a bit worried when I placed an order for 5 pairs of 5A Maples directly on their site. Was super happy to see that they shipped the same day and will be arriving tomorrow! As a long time Regal Tip fan, I've been a bit concerned their business was doing OK with the posted here and there as they are one business that I've always supported. I'm not saying this one order is the end all showing promise, but I'm hopeful it's a good sign :)

-Steve

Parad1ddle

Reaction score
I,m retired now but have a Gretch kit with 16 inch bass set up in my loft. I have used Regal tips for years. the model I prefer is the "E" series. These have nylon tips with slots cut into the acorn and the claim is that these slotted tips. Sound darker and more like a wooden stick. I have found this to be true. Before I discovered the "E" series I always used wooden tipped sticks . As a Jazz drummer I require the right sound on a ride cymbal. Normal nylon tips in my opinion sound awful on a K Zildjians, producing a tinny sound. The "E" series from Regal tip sound like a wooden stick. I used to keep a varied range of sticks in my bag using lightweight models for quiet trio gigs and heavier sticks for louder occasions with a septet or big band.
As other writers have mentioned dry hands I am the same and found that thinner sticks like a 7A would fly out of my hands too easily. My grip is pretty loose and of late I have changed to 5B,s . The thicker stick sits nicely and flying sticks are a thing of the past. What is the general thinking on choosing a stick. Do drummers on this group use light sticks for quiet work and heavy sticks for loud work? Or is the general opinion that you should choose a stick and use it for everything . Buddy Rich once gave me a pair of sticks that tapered towards the back. Most drummers would have kept them for show. I used them until the acorns went soft and then threw them away. These used to fly out of my Hands.