Some supers and supraphonics from 1958 to 1961

stokesbros

Reaction score
I started taking the cases down last night, and checking and tuning some of my Supers/Supraphonics.

I'm particularly interested in the 58 - 61 period when WFL was transitioning back to Ludwig. I don't know when the name "Supraphonic" came into use, but I think it was around 1961 (ish)..

It occurred to me that I didn't have "group" photo of these, so I took some shots. I tried to order them from top to bottom by year/age. Here's the lineup:

1958 WFL COB (also posted a separate pic of this) - one of my favorites
1959 COB Super with Transition badge
1959 COB Super Sensitive (6.5 * 14) with Transition badge
1961? Keystone badge (pre serial number) Supraphonic - brass lacquer.
1961 Keystone badge (pre-serial) Supraphonic

Dates are approximate, as there are no date stamps in any of these.

IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there an extra set of holes drilled on the 6.5" x 14" for muffler? I see the empty holes and I have noticed they did that on some similar drums I have.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is there an extra set of holes drilled on the 6.5" x 14" for muffler? I see the empty holes and I have noticed they did that on some similar drums I have.
No. Mufflers were standard. It’s just missing and they are easy to come by. I use mufflers on snares and really like the option.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oops. I thought I was responding to another thread. The info I contributed is still applicable yet those mufflers knobs are more challenging to come across.

Beautiful set of snares OP!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Great collection that you have there. All real winners. I was discussing Trans badge Super Sensitives earlier today and "wanted" to say that I had seen a 6.5 but couldn't verify that. Now I can!

Mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know when the name "Supraphonic" came into use, but I think it was around 1961 (ish)..

SupraPhonic first pops up in the "64" catalog. Previous full line "62" catalog still lists the Super Ludwig. Transition seems to have been just before serial numbers were introduced in late 1963 since there are pre-serial drums with seamless aluminum shells. That's an awesome collection of snare drums.

LUD64006.JPG

stokesbros

Reaction score
I don't know when the name "Supraphonic" came into use, but I think it was around 1961 (ish)..

SupraPhonic first pops up in the "64" catalog. Previous full line "62" catalog still lists the Super Ludwig. Transition seems to have been just before serial numbers were introduced in late 1963 since there are pre-serial drums with seamless aluminum shells. That's an awesome collection of snare drums.

View attachment 455315
thanks for that info! I always wondered when the term Supraphonic was introduced.

stokesbros

Reaction score
Great collection that you have there. All real winners. I was discussing Trans badge Super Sensitives earlier today and "wanted" to say that I had seen a 6.5 but couldn't verify that. Now I can!

Mike
Thanks Mike - it's a really great/deep sounding drum. I need to get the correct snare wires on there, or get the purecussion retrofit snares.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

View attachment 455315

I have an add somewhere introducing the "new" Supraphonic and it's dated 1963. I can't remember the exact date though. I'll have to see if i can find it.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Kurt...it's the Ludwig Drummer Vol. 3 No.2 Fall 1963 issue that introduces it.

Mike

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, it is hard to pick a favorite when they are all so damn nice.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kurt...it's the Ludwig Drummer Vol. 3 No.2 Fall 1963 issue that introduces it.

Mike
The full line catalogs generally came out sometime in the year before they were dated so the Supra first popping up in the 64 catalog fits with a 1963 introduction. And the fact that there are pre-serial (serial #s first appeared in late 1963) Supraphonics further hammers that home.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A collection anyone would be proud to own. Nice

Wayne

abryantp

Reaction score
Has to be one of the nicest Super/Supraphonic collections I've ever seen! Great looking and we all know great sounding drums!