header.nohb.html

Some Yamaha news...

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

flurbs

Reaction score
What was that Yamaha finish where it was glossy, but it was like the shells had not been sanded flat? That was the ugliest finish ever. It looked like someone stained and put a gloss finish on 100 year old flooring.
PHX textured ash. Nothing like using an unfinished finish on a $5k kit.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is actually still finished - it just has a much thinner lacquer finish over the shell so that the texture of the burl ash can be felt . Personally I prefer the gloss lacquer burl ash finish visually .

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha! Exactly. @Murat , do you get any appreciable amount of orders for this? Not that a yes would make me like it any more. Yamaha finishes through history - excellent. Then that. Sorry to toss this in, but DW lacquers rule them all.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha! Exactly. @Murat , do you get any appreciable amount of orders for this? Not that a yes would make me like it any more. Yamaha finishes through history - excellent. Then that. Sorry to toss this in, but DW lacquers rule them all.
Of all the PHX sets I sold in the last 5 years, and it is a substantial amount, 80% of them were the textured finishes...People somehow equate a PHX with that raw look. BUt this is only my experience.

flurbs

Reaction score
Of all the PHX sets I sold in the last 5 years, and it is a substantial amount, 80% of them were the textured finishes...People somehow equate a PHX with that raw look. BUt this is only my experience.
I will say that IMO that finish looks outstanding in the marketing shots - it's only when you see one up close and in the flesh that it looks unfinished. At which stage it's probably too late to change one's mind...

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a mint AHM shell bank in Jade Green Sparkle coming my way next week. 18, 20, 22 bass drums, 8,10,12,14,16 toms and floors and a matching snare. I will post it here if it doesnt go the first day I get it :)
is that 20" bass drum 16" deep or 14"?

Reaction score
I will say that IMO that finish looks outstanding in the marketing shots - it's only when you see one up close and in the flesh that it looks unfinished. At which stage it's probably too late to change one's mind...
I don’t know which textured ash sets you have checked but they look and feel certainly NOT unfished (not do the Club Customs and 2nd gen Rock Tour Customs do either).

1661070294941.png

1661070319228.png

I’m always surprised when people pay so much money for the regular gloss version, when they can have that extremely special and fine textured option.

But then again you see more textured models out there like Murat said, so most see quality for what it is.

DW wished they could deliver the same quality in finishes (not talking about some of Louies work, which is outstanding, just the quality).

They use a protective sealer that is too thin for instance.

Yamaha is still the best in this department (and that comes from someone who plays and appreciates both brands).

Last edited:

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know AMB2016 is the only 20 inch bass drum they offer but I have to double check that.
they have offered 14" deep 20" bass drums in the AHM series, there was a drum shop in Nashville that ordered them for some of their sets. Uncatalogued, tho

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
they have offered 14" deep 20" bass drums in the AHM series, there was a drum shop in Nashville that ordered them for some of their sets. Uncatalogued, tho
I guess it is possible . Yamaha is strict with sizes though. People have begged to get the 20 bass drums 14 deep in the PHX and even though it is their most "custom" line, Yamaha never budged. Of course Yamaha US is a separate entity with a much larger market.

Drumprof

Reaction score
I get why folks on here are always insistent on 14 inch deep bass drums. I grew up before the deeper drums became fad and I refused to go deep. Good thing I was almost a 100 percent jazzer because my bop basses were all 14.

I was a bit reluctant when I bought my 20x16 AHM but let me tell you boys, that thing is completely awesome and made me forget all about yearning for a 14 depth.
With the coated e-mad on it, it punches like a dog tuned medium or lower. Makes me think I don’t even need a 22.
Tuned a bit higher for a jazz or light rock gig with very little or no muffling, If carry’s a beautiful tone and sings wonderfully.
Now I’m as much of a hardcore traditionalist as anyone on here but I have really come to love 16 depths in both 20’s and 22’s.
I trust that Yamaha builds a drum to specs for a reason and never find myself wishing it was different once I have gig’d it and it feels and sounds so satisfying to play.
Just my experience.

Reaction score
I guess it is possible . Yamaha is strict with sizes though. People have begged to get the 20 bass drums 14 deep in the PHX and even though it is their most "custom" line, Yamaha never budged. Of course Yamaha US is a separate entity with a much larger market.
Yeah they don’t do custom orders, unless you are Steve or Dave (and even than they are tough as nails regarding this).

It’s just too much work to get the same production quality for a custom shell (not even talking about the machinery isnt made for one offs too).

The PHX has the reason they dont offer custom options that it is a philosophy designed drum.

The only 20x14 PHX shell ever completed, was a prototype model made for Jimmy Chamberlain when they were testing different builds.
1661111221619.jpeg

In case of the Hybrid shell, Memphis Drum Shop sells a 20x14 set. When bought in bulk/multiple sets it is easier for companies to offer ala carte as such a large quantity order it makes up for the extra cost such retooling will cost.

jakeo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they don’t do custom orders, unless you are Steve or Dave (and even than they are tough as nails regarding this).

It’s just too much work to get the same production quality for a custom shell (not even talking about the machinery isnt made for one offs too).

The PHX has the reason they dont offer custom options that it is a philosophy designed drum.

The only 20x14 PHX shell ever completed, was a prototype model made for Jimmy Chamberlain when they were testing different builds.
View attachment 578887

In case of the Hybrid shell, Memphis Drum Shop sells a 20x14 set. When bought in bulk/multiple sets it is easier for companies to offer ala carte as such a large quantity order it makes up for the extra cost such retooling will cost.

I got the 20 x 14 - 12 -14 from Memphis Drum shop - love em!

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I ordered a Yamaha PHX kit from Murat’s shop I wanted a 20 x 14 bass but was told that was not going to happen . I reluctantly got the 20 x 16 and was really surprised how much I liked it . It was one ballsy bug sounding drum . A fellow forum member owns this kit now .
485DEB6C-ADF6-4AB6-86D8-7C99A0EAA7E4.jpeg
25DA52B2-4AE2-47D3-9BA8-BEF562AA674B.jpeg

digovii

Reaction score
I believe MDS can get 14x20 bass drums from Yamaha. I know they can for sure get 14x20 RC bass drums.

prodigy4299

Reaction score
Not directly related, but Yamaha is also having serious stocking issues with the Tour Custom here in Europe. Impossible to find on the ground anywhere, and can only be ordered directly from Yamaha for $2100 USD... (in my neck of Europe)
Was almost certain that the Tour Custom would be my next kit, but at $2100 USD for a shell pack, it was hard to justify.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the mid 2000s I picked up a floor model Tour Custom from my local Guitar Center for $700.00. My last new one was 3 years ago for about $900.00. Today they are sporty at around $1300.00. Pathetic the price gouging that is happening.