Someone else's kit.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually look forward to being able to use a nice backline kit or if I know one of the bands playing has a good kit. It's these random, 3-4 local band shows that I usually insist on using my own kit, even if that means I'm the one supplying the backline.
Yeah, those can be scary or rewarding depending on who you have to share your kit with. It's nice though because that's about the only time you get to actually hear your kit out front. Us drummers are so ripped off always having to stay behind the sound system.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had it in reverse....my own kit(s) were weird......
When touring I use supplied kits and bring along the "breakables"...lol, as they say.... So every day you get a different kit and if you're used to it no biggie. If there's time to tweak it can be fun to twiddle with different hardware, but at a festival you have a very short and strict timeframe. I scope the kit out and generally ask the stage crew NOT to help me move things (except mics) around if necessary and generally take things away....ie two toms up...take one away..... Sometimes you get lucky and there will be some extra stands so you can get a little head start.
Coming home can be a little different, especially if I'm asked to use or bring a kit that's not used very much.
I have a kit where all the toms have RIMS mounts et al off stands and a rack, and holy camoly it seemed so so strange when I set it up....was actually uncomfortable, but then again we all continually tweak right...???...;)
As long as the hats, snare and bd are comfy then things will be fine and I can adapt. Again no biggie if it's an everyday scenario....and you approach it with the proper good and positive attitude.
I'm also the soundperson or monitor mixers dream come true.....I ask them to turn the drum monitors off and have been hugged and thanked on many occasions for this.
bt

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I'm also the soundperson or monitor mixers dream come true.....I ask them to turn the drum monitors off and have been hugged and thanked on many occasions for this.
bt
[/QUOTE]
Same, except, depending on the venue, when asked what I want in the monitor (usually just one) I just say a little bit of everything.