Someone got a screamin deal on these Gretsch

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the time listed, it was posted at 2 am this morning. Normally it wouldn't last 1 hour. In this case could have slipped by until 4-6 am.

And sure enough, grabbed by a friend I know in the central RI region who happened to be up around 4 am this morning. Of course he paid "considerably" more than $200 to be fair to the seller....and remain first in line....ahead of all the other players that would no doubt make offers before he could get there. He was the first to contact the seller. He picked them up at 8 am. Champagne sparkle 13,16,22. 50's Premier Royal Ace piccolo snare, Zyn cymbals, one piece footboard Buddy Rich swivo Rogers bass pedal. It is a typical early 60s 6 ply round badge set. From original owner, zero issues. Stored in cases. Very rust free per him....and 'cleaning up great.' A "bucket list" kit for my friend who intends to keep the Gretsch drums. Good for him. And he just loves those drums.....keepers for sure.

Would 8 lugs be "normal" for a 22" bass drum from that era?

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s market Value on these? $2,000?
It really comes down to how pristine the drums are including bearing edges, paper tags, internals, not to mention tone. Still to be determined. The non-Gretsch items in this kit are probably in the $600-$800 range.

I was involved in a very nice, 1 owner WMP Gretsch 1965 jazz kit earlier this year (12,14,20 + mint '65 supra). Hardware was Ludwig and nice. 50's Zildjians. And that sold for $1750 after several months. This kit as well was originally offered at a WAY low asking price......$600. I told the owner I'd pay a lot more than that....and so would everyone else. They had a huge response to their listing and knew they had under-priced it.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow....I should get on social media...maybe, just for the drums!
Yup. But you have to be able to respond in the first 1-2 hours to even have a chance. I've called on kits recently within the first 20-60 minutes and was not in the running. A transition badge pink oyster pearl Ludwig (mounted tom, bass, snare and excellent original trans badged 6/8 bongo's in same color + couple cymbals) popped up a few weeks ago for $200. Very original looking kit with old heads. You can imagine how many replies that owner got. The bongo's alone were probably worth way over the asking price. But, in a lot of these cases, the sellers back away and disappear for a few weeks to assess the situation. Then they either relist at a much higher price or contact those who made offers on the initial listing.

Ludwig pink oyster pearl with bongo's.jpg

Last edited:

poetman

Reaction score
Wonder why she listed it as Glitchin? Misread logo? Maybe the name of the original store?