Something wrong with this cymbal?

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I happen to see this cymbal on FB Marketplace. For all intents and purposes, it appears to be a standard Zildjian 20in crash / ride cymbal. Asking price was $70 but then he offered it at $60 plus shipping. Guy lives in West hartford CT and I'm in Queens NY. I guestimated that it should cost around 15 bucks to ship UPS ground .. maybe a little more or less .. so the guy comes back and says "$65" to ship. I decline pointing out the fact that I think $65 is for next day air and I don't need it that quickly. Dead silence and has me wondering if this guy was tryin to pull a fast one.

Attachments

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His reply

"Grand total would be 130$
Shipping is about $65. Up to you, i can ship it today if you really want me to"

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I list on CL, I'm looking for a cash in hand sale, I don't want to ship. I want someone to meet me local with cash in hand and do the deal.
No packaging, no trip to the Post Office, no shipping charges, all of that is worth $65, maybe more.
Looks to me like the guy wants something for all the effort to ship, to me, that's fair.

Last edited:

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I list on CL, I'm looking for a cash in hand sale, I don't want to ship. I want someone to meet me local with cash in hand and do the deal.
No packaging, no trip to the Post Office, no shipping charges, all of that is worth $65, maybe more.
Looks to me like the guy wants something for all the effort to ship, to me, that's fair.
I agree that time and effort are worth something however the seller lives in West Hartford CT .. I live in Queens, NY ... 2 hours away by car. I offered to meet him half way to do the excahnge .. he opted out. I've shipped packages very similar to the size and weight of this cymbal from Queens to southern NJ and the UPS ground shipping cost was $14. Ok so I had the packaging already and the UPS store is a mile from my home. Adding an additional $50 for my time and effort seems to be a bit ridiculous. The reason I put this post out there was more to demonstrate a rhetorical point. As I said from the looks of the cymbal, I can't tell if it's an old cymbal or not. I know that the K's, A's, Avedis, ZHT and ZBT's are all brannded and thiis had no such brandings. I asked him to confirm that is was not eiither one of those Z types because hsi asking price was low and he confirmed that it wasn't. I know .. this is all a big to do about nothing because there was no rip-off because I declined. My point is that this guy was asking a low price and I think was looking to add to his pocket by quoting me a ridiculous shipping charge.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$130 for an A Zildjian 20" crash\ride in good condition......what could he possibly be "adding to his pocket"?

Scratching my head....

I wouldn't want to drive an hour to sell that cymbal for $60 either....so there's that too.

I think both of you guys are better off without each other.

Lol

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have only driven that kind of distance to buy or sell things that are hard to find and difficult to ship. A common cheap cymbal? No way. My time is worth more.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw that cymbal on my local Facebook for $70 obo. It looks a legit 80's crash/ride. I was tempted to drive the 30 miles and pick it up. But I have similar cymbals I'd be happy to sell for $75-$85 so why bother? If it stays unsold until my next trip up that way I'd pick it up.

Half way to Queens from West Hartford, CT is an hour and half. And having driven that route from New Haven to Queens many time, traffic can be brutal. I wouldn't do that either....not even for an extra $40. Lots of things can go wrong. Meeting half way is a 2 edged sword. I've done it a number of times. Several of those involved waiting in a parking lot for up to 45 min for the other guy to show up. What if they change their mind and "find" issues with your item...and pass unless you discount further? And shipping it? Besides having the package lost, if you do Paypal what's to keep a seller or buyer (with bad intent) of screaming foul that the other person ripped them off? I can see shipping via Reverb or Ebay as they have a long track record with safeguards built in. But on FB or CL, you'd better know your counter-party because anyone can claim "anything" once a box is shipped out....empty box shipped.....box of rocks shipped....cracked cymbal shipped....Made in Japan cymbal shipped.....etc.

I agree that shipping that cymbal to Queens should run about $15-$20....purchase a box, packing materials, insurance above $50, signature required....it all adds up. The guy might think his time to run around for around 2 hrs including time to properly pack is worth more than that.

Last edited:

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I don’t ship unless it’s reverb, eBay, or on this forum. CL and marketplace are too much of a gamble and he probably padded the price to make up for the risk. Though he should probably just not offer shipping if that’s the case.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sell and ship cymbals all the time (tho not enough it seems), via my Reverb storefront. Shipping is not cheap.
I use to offer free shipping, and sometimes I still do, but it cost me. I use FedEx 3-day ground exclusively, and find FedEx is the most reliable of all 3 major delivery outlets, USPS (have lost 3 cymbals), UPS, though as costly as FedEx, they never seem to be in a hurry. FedEx gets my cymbals from east coast to west in 3 days, and midwest in 2, and east coast next day within a 1,000 miles.
Rates have gone up 21% over last 2 years with FedEx and UPS, but still worth it as a delivery platform. USPS takes a week to 10 days from east coast to west coast, though the cheapest form, but you get what you pay for...they have lost a Paiste 602 vintage, a pair of 15" Giant Beat hats, and a 20" 2002 Black Label/Big Beat...so never trust them no longer...

That being said, $65 from CT to Queens is beyond ridiculous. It probably would be cheaper to have an Uber driver deliver it.
The most I ever paid was $42 from Atlanta to the Pacific NW of Washington state. The buyer lived in the wilderness. FedEx took 6 days. I insure and require signature upon delivery/receipt, which adds about $6 to cost...but proven well worth it.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
And there’s also the box, bubble and tape ( if you don’t have any handy ) that can easily set you back 15-$20 in my neck o the woods

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know...but it to me, itnisn't whether $65 for shipping is a rip off....

As much as it is what your total is for a 20" Zildjian A crash\ride...

Not to mention, you could save $65 but spending two hours to get it....

Anyway.....lol

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the many feedback replies .. 60 was the final offer and I thought that was a very fair price for that cymbal .. from what I could tell from the photos. I was not willing to drive but I put that out there as an option since the seller didn't state "local pick up only" .. but when he hit me with $65 to ship, I declined .. I actully think that the cymbal is probably worth the inflated price but I was a buit ticked off because iif his intention was to get around $120 plus and 20-30 to pack and ship, I would have preferred him to be up front ... I'll never know what his true intentions were but when I suspect someone is trying to pull a stunt, I wont do any business with them.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just remember - whether you are buying - or - selling and quoting a shipping charge......if it crosses the Mississippi there will be a premium. Quote accurately or be willing to eat some.

rock roll

Reaction score
Its possible in the future for me to meet you on a transaction.
I'm just across the Woodrow Wilson bridge.
I'm always looking.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have paid about $40 for shipping from the US to Asia for a snare drum that is lot heavier than a cymbal. However, that was from a supplier who is geared up for such shipments in terms of staff, packing materials, experience etc. A once-off individual seller is disadvantaged in those terms.