Sometimes you don't know what you're missing: Gear Quality

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We all know that Gadd sounds like Gadd on CB700's. That said, sometimes gear quality can make the experience from the driver's seat so much better and therefore your performance will be better. Years back I played all DW 5000 hardware and pedals, but with Tama Iron Cobra beaters (Inspired by the Carter Beauford "Under the Table and Drumming" video). Somewhere long about 2014 I ditched all that stuff, went all Yamaha, basic round felt beaters and a simple FP7210 pedal. I know part of it was going lighter weight, but something about just simpler too. Anyway, with my latest gear overhaul (ditching DW Collector's big kit with Yamaha hardware and picking up special custom little Ludwig Classic Maple with DW Ultralight Hardware) I put a DW 6000 pedal in place of the Yamaha. MAN what a difference! The smoothness and power of the pedal is head and shoulders above the Yamaha all the way from playability to the hoop clamp. Also, I did a beater shootout with a Yamaha Medium Round Felt, DW stock, Vater Vintage Bomber, and Iron Cobra. That 6000 pedal with the Iron Cobra beater is MONEY! Both for feel and for sound.

P.S.
That DW 6000UL hardware set is also MONEY! Between rehearsals and a wedding gig I've taken the kit out of the house 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Every time was a joy. Both the kick and rack tom on this kit are virgin so I picked up a DW 6000 (not UL) snare stand for the tom. I tried the UL version of the snare stand for the tom, but found it a little wobbly for my preference, though I do use it for my 6.5 Black Beauty and it works beautifully.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny...I just posted on another thread that we don't talk enough about beaters.
I found a broken Mapex RX pedal for $15...Mapex supplied the missing part for nothing...its very IC Power Glide Like...but the spring can go tighter...and with the right beater...wow

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny...I just posted on another thread that we don't talk enough about beaters.
I found a broken Mapex RX pedal for $15...Mapex supplied the missing part for nothing...its very IC Power Glide Like...but the spring can go tighter...and with the right beater...wow
Had a busted Mapex throw and they did the same thing.
Good service.

healthie1

Reaction score
Totally! I replaced some heads, wires and tuned my DW5000 double pedal and it makes a big difference.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve said a million times, too many drummers don’t experiment on their drums with different beaters, tension and rocker arms. They think the pedal is a stick. Not true by a long shot.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I did that too with the beaters when I saw Carter doing it. I still have that vid I think from 20+ years ago.