Somewhat O.T.: is it me or do we love the Stones’ instruments?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many people try to build a Charlie Watts drum set or one of Keef’s many guitars? I haven’t done any tribute kits, but I have built not one, but two Keef guitars and am close to my third Keith Richards tribute axe.

My new word: Replibute. Replica+Tribute= Replibute.

I add elements from other icons in my builds. I add Eddie Van Halen elements, like eyebolts and quarters. Of course the eyebolts are for my strap. I used to gig heavily as a frontman, so I didn’t want to break my guitars!

Here are some replibute guitars. Please show off your replibute drums!

Attachments

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So true and I like the term.
Btw- ever read Andy's books, Stones and Beatle Gear? Great read and wonderfull photographs.
I need to see books like that. Again, I don’t go for total replicas, but love all the esoteric details of what some musicians would do to their instruments.

If I were to do a Replica drum kit, it would be one of Keith Moon’s drum kits. Those had some crazy things going on with them. Some of that stuff would be needle in the haystack details, but it would be fun to locate the items.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frank Beard had some... unique kits that I bet many would like to replicate.

I always like the look of Mick Brown's kit on this video:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frank Beard had some... unique kits that I bet many would like to replicate.

I always like the look of Mick Brown's kit on this video:

Visually, these guys had a LOT of cool instruments. George Lynch also had some very cool and unique guitars, as well. Didn’t Mick Brown have a rack with welded chain links for the cymbals? Or am I thinking of a different guy?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like a bum having back burnered my Charlie Watts tribute kit! Between Covid and closing my drum workshop (a room off my garage), my drum tinkering was in a holding pattern.......

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Visually, these guys had a LOT of cool instruments. George Lynch also had some very cool and unique guitars, as well. Didn’t Mick Brown have a rack with welded chain links for the cymbals? Or am I thinking of a different guy?
I want to say that was Scott Rockenfield of Queensryche.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mr. Watts’ kit is, to me, both iconic and idiosyncratic.

Have you ever take a gander at his throne, his bass drum beater?