Song where the drummer comes in on two

stevil

Reaction score
Are you thinking of songs like Zeppelin's Rock and Roll? Bonham starts a typical rock beat in mid-phrase, which makes the whole song feel off kilter, despite being pretty straightforward.

I've wanted to write something like that with my band, but we haven't pulled it off well yet.

Cool post.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you thinking of songs like Zeppelin's Rock and Roll? Bonham starts a typical rock beat in mid-phrase, which makes the whole song feel off kilter, despite being pretty straightforward.

I've wanted to write something like that with my band, but we haven't pulled it off well yet.

Cool post.
Well, I was think specifically of “Two” but definitely see what you are saying. I’ve been playing “Rock & Roll” since I was a kid but instinctually so I have avoid all videos on the matter because I thought it might break the spell.

Mitchell’s intro to “All along the Watchtower” is one that threw me for years until I finally found a YouTube video that broke it down nicely. That one starts out on the & of 3.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, I was think specifically of “Two” but definitely see what you are saying. I’ve been playing “Rock & Roll” since I was a kid but instinctually so I have avoid all videos on the matter because I thought it might break the spell.

Mitchell’s intro to “All along the Watchtower” is one that threw me for years until I finally found a YouTube video that broke it down nicely. That one starts out on the & of 3.
So does Rock & Roll.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I always think of 'Man On The Corner' by Genesis. Simple sounding enough to the listener, but then the transition into the chorus jars you into realizing you had been counting the 1 wrong the whole time.

To answer the thread, technically it’s the keyboards that start on 2. Tony Banks even mentioned how conscientious he had to be while counting-in over the drum machine during concerts.

This link doesn’t happen to be from the interview I remember, but it’s an amusing picture of his frustrations with performing that song live in particular, all the more humorous because his answers had been translated into German before being translated back into English again.

“We counted ourselves to death on stage… Poor little Phil… That asynchronous drum box he had fallen in love with was his idea, not ours.”

More to be found here...

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As far as interesting starts go, we used to cover No More Tears from Ozzy and needless to say, it took us a little while for everyone to be on the same page.

carl from maine

Reaction score
So does Rock & Roll.
So does Take It Easy. It sounds like Henley is turning the beat around, but that’s been the pulse since the beginning. The opening chord is on the & of 4 but I think we mostly hear it as 1. Treat the chord as a 8th note pick-up if you want to count along with the recording. There’s something about anthemic chords on the & of 4 that feels so grand and free

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretenders, "Talk of the Town" verse entrances. Kind of along those lines.

And, yeah, the "Rock 'n Roll" intro is really nothing unusual. Time to put that myth to rest. The 4th 8th-note played is the first downbeat...i.e., & of 3. It's understandable why people have understood that first 8th-note to be the downbeat. I did for many years. But when you finally start hearing it the right way, it just becomes clearly a standard, simple '50s/dance pickup fill.