Song where the drummer comes in on two

gbow

Reaction score
Ah the beauty of being a drummer who rarely counts... All that does is screw you up :)

gabo

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The RNR intro really isn't that strange to me as usually a lead instrument has pick up notes into 1, in this case its the drums. Not "on the 2" as Nacci is asking but Black Dog throws me still and so does CW's "error" on Start me Up.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’ve been playing “Rock & Roll” since I was a kid but instinctually so I have avoid all videos on the matter because I thought it might break the spell.
Ah the beauty of being a drummer who rarely counts... All that does is screw you up :)

gabo
“Don’t think about it. Just do it. Thinkin’ll kill you every time.”
- Dr. Johnny Fever

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Hangin On To The Good Times by Little Feat begins with the whole band hitting the 2nd 16th note of beat 1. Hayward further complicates things with his hi hat accents, because he was awesome.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hangin On To The Good Times by Little Feat begins with the whole band hitting the 2nd 16th note of beat 1. Hayward further complicates things with his hi hat accents, because he was awesome.
He was awesome for sure.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do it all of the time. I'm trying to convince my bandmates all the cool cats come in on 2 but they are not buying it!

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watchtower was spliced .
I think the original Dylan recording was spliced between two different takes. But never heard of that regarding the Hendrix version.

The Hendrix recording did seem to be one of bridges between the "Axis" era London recordings and the "Electric LadyLand" era NY stuff. - with Watchtower's basic track being recorded on 4-track in London - even finished and mixed there. Only to have Jimi comeback to it 6 months later in NY - transferring the 4 track to 16 track - allowing him the freedom track count-wise to create the orgy of guitar sounds that it ultimately became.

So to the best of my knowledge nothing about the intro in particular was created through splicing - it's oddness (like some many other weird intros) comes from our brains so often just latching onto the first note heard as "one" and then hanging onto that false assumption for dear life. :)

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts