header.nohb.html

Songs with ‘busy’ drums and their drummers.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The recent interview with Bernard Purdie by Rick Beato got me thinking.
Purdie talked about staying out of the way and keeping it simple, two concepts I truly appreciate and attempt to emulate.
However I also find myself really enjoying songs, parts and drummers who are able to add complex or just plain ‘busy’ drums to songs, and yet still don’t overplay.

Todd Sucherman comes to mind, not to mention Neil Peart and perhaps Danny Carey.
These guys masterfully balance intricate, even complex drum parts without adding notes for the sake of adding notes. Their uncanny ability to play so many gorgeous fills and complex grooves without gumming things up just astound me.

What are some of your favorite ‘busy’ drum songs.

One that comes to mind for me is Flirtin’ with Disaster by Molly Hatchet. But there are certainly better examples.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Among others, add Gavin Harrison, Bill Bruford, Michael Giles, Rod Morgenstein, Ian Paice, John Weathers, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Dave Clark, Ginger Baker, and the recently deceased Alan White to the list.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among others, add Gavin Harrison, Bill Bruford, Michael Giles, Rod Morgenstein, Ian Paice, John Weathers, John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Dave Clark, Ginger Baker, and the recently deceased Alan White to the list.
Yes to all the above but maybe Dave Clark? Triplets on the snare are busy I guess OK whatever. I didn’t know Alan white had passed goodness gracious. Somebody is probably listed the Snark puppy drummer or whatever their name is snarky something I forgot.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The recent interview with Bernard Purdie by Rick Beato got me thinking.
Purdie talked about staying out of the way and keeping it simple, two concepts I truly appreciate and attempt to emulate.
However I also find myself really enjoying songs, parts and drummers who are able to add complex or just plain ‘busy’ drums to songs, and yet still don’t overplay.

Todd Sucherman comes to mind, not to mention Neil Peart and perhaps Danny Carey.
These guys masterfully balance intricate, even complex drum parts without adding notes for the sake of adding notes. Their uncanny ability to play so many gorgeous fills and complex grooves without gumming things up just astound me.

What are some of your favorite ‘busy’ drum songs.

One that comes to mind for me is Flirtin’ with Disaster by Molly Hatchet. But there are certainly better examples.
There are entire threads about Todd Sucherman overplaying.

I don’t listen to Styx (being a grown man and all), but does “Mr. Roboto” need double-bass flourishes?

Oh, and apologies for referring to a band from less than 40 years ago, but I enjoy Brann Dailor’s overplaying with Mastodon quite a lot.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes to all the above but maybe Dave Clark? Triplets on the snare are busy I guess OK whatever. I didn’t know Alan white had passed goodness gracious. Somebody is probably listed the Snark puppy drummer or whatever their name is snarky something I forgot.
If you can find it.......listen to The Best of the Dave Clark 5 album.
Half of the songs begin with a rudimentary fill....the 60s version of busy.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is the drummer for Buddy Holly on Sheila?

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very busy drummer, but it fits very well with everything the band does. The other instruments are generally fairly simple and have broader ideas that are more simple so the extra work he puts in feels fun and musical.

I tend to put these guys in the same category. Though I'm not a big Blink fan the simplicity in their other instruments gives Barker wiggle room that I feel is handled musically in most cases.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know this is all about rock drummers, but to me Roy Haynes is the epitome of busyness that advances the music without getting in the way.

rsmittee

Reaction score
Growing up listening to Neil and Moony and Bill Ward, I got the idea that you had to do a fill every four bars. At least if you were any good, you had to. :) It took me a LONG time to break that habit. Now some of my favorite drum parts have almost no fills, like Steve Jordan stuff.

The Purdie interview came at a perfect time as I went into the studio last Tuesday to record with a Jazzy/bluesy singer, and I just got out of the way and grooved. No hero fills, just make it feel good. She's the star, not me. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.