Sonny Igoe imposter

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
From Tommy Igoe's FB page:

"Man, I hate seeing people get ripped off.

Sonny played one brand his entire career until his passing, Slingerland. Start to finish. Never Gretsch. And this instrument was certainly never used with the Benny Goodman orchestra during his tenure with BG. And oh my god…The two bass drums, Wtf!
Man, that is funny.

Unfortunately, Sonny did have an imposter for many years who would actually show up at gigs literally calling himself my father‘s name. Is this the kit of the imposter? I have no idea —I don’t wanna know and don’t even come to me with any bull$h!t if you find anything out— I could care less. It was just one thing that happened during his career he didn’t like to talk about it but it did happen. Obviously in the decades pre-Internet, it was way easier to get away with something like that.

The moral of the story? Believe nothing you read, see or hear on social. Nothing. Be skeptical and protect yourself. Believe nothing until you verify.

PS: my dad could not understand the old instrument fetish and he would probably say, “why the hell are you guys pretending our old stuff is so great. It wasn’t even great when it was new. Something to consider."

So I have 2 take aways from this. First, was impersonating famous drummers a thing or did this just happen to Sonny? Second, he played Radio Kings as a point of reference when saying that the new stuff is better.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My modern Austin Fibes just smoke my Slingerlands …I’ll admit it .

And it’s really weird that someone would try to pass off a kit as being Sonny Igoes .
Well maybe not ….There have always been those kind I guess …

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw that. It's not currently listed on Reverb, at least that I could find.

That BD head looks like it was done on a computer on brand-new stock. Has anyone really fallen for something like this?

I took lessons from Sonny in 1988 and yup, a black Slingerland set was there. No Gretsch. Why this nimrod didn't put that fake logo head on a Slingerland drumset remains to be seen.

Mike Portnoy had to deal with an impostor a few years ago. I think Peter Criss did, too.

My dad, who was a guitar player, bought me my first drum equipment in the 70s. It was some Slingerland stuff, but on his own he chose Pearl and Tama, too, due to the build quality. Many years later, I brought him to a Premier and Sonor dealer, and their stuff really impressed him. I remember him comparing the newer Pearl/Tama/Yamaha hardware to that of most of the vintage American stuff and he muttered something like "They should apologize..."

Ha ha. I miss my dad all the time.

Dan

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is up with a modified story

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is up with a modified story

Someone message that guy and tell him to put down the glass pipe.

Dan

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
From Tommy Igoe's FB page:

"Man, I hate seeing people get ripped off.

Sonny played one brand his entire career until his passing, Slingerland. Start to finish. Never Gretsch. And this instrument was certainly never used with the Benny Goodman orchestra during his tenure with BG. And oh my god…The two bass drums, Wtf!
Man, that is funny.

Unfortunately, Sonny did have an imposter for many years who would actually show up at gigs literally calling himself my father‘s name. Is this the kit of the imposter? I have no idea —I don’t wanna know and don’t even come to me with any bull$h!t if you find anything out— I could care less. It was just one thing that happened during his career he didn’t like to talk about it but it did happen. Obviously in the decades pre-Internet, it was way easier to get away with something like that.

The moral of the story? Believe nothing you read, see or hear on social. Nothing. Be skeptical and protect yourself. Believe nothing until you verify.

PS: my dad could not understand the old instrument fetish and he would probably say, “why the hell are you guys pretending our old stuff is so great. It wasn’t even great when it was new. Something to consider."

So I have 2 take aways from this. First, was impersonating famous drummers a thing or did this just happen to Sonny? Second, he played Radio Kings as a point of reference when saying that the new stuff is better.

“PS: my dad could not understand the old instrument fetish and he would probably say, ‘why the hell are you guys pretending our old stuff is so great. It wasn’t even great when it was new. Something to consider.’”

Nostalgia!

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"More recently, the owner acquired a 22" bass drum, which came from Sonny Igoe's studio. The front bass drum head is a replica."

Front head is a replica? Huh??

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Firstly.....impersonating famous drummers.....isn't that part of the "tribute band" and sometimes the youtoob/instagram drum bunch mentality.....
Secondly.....I've never played Radio Kings but they must be pretty good or they wouldn't be continually referenced.
bt