Sonny Payne is drivin' the bus!

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted before, but some of the youtube accounts have now been deleted.
IMO Sonny Payne will always be in the inner circle of big band drummers. He had the complete package: style, chops, showmanship and swing.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted before, but some of the youtube accounts have now been deleted.
IMO Sonny Payne will always be in the inner circle of big band drummers. He had the complete package: style, chops, showmanship and swing.

I’m not sure what I like better, his setups or that sparkle finish on those drums. Dang!

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That clip should be in the dictionary to illustrate the meaning of the word "impeccable".
Brilliant performance by everyone, Jones, Arons and Wess are on fire.

And Payne - just wow. State of the art. His drums and cymbals sound just perfect. Amazing how the hi hat cuts through the band. Love it!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in a local GC one day and two young men came into the drum department to look around. One of the covers on a book caught their eye and they had a good laugh looking at the guy on the cover dressed to the nines in an outdated suit, Sonny Payne. They were clueless of this man and his incredible talent and if I’m right, they will never know. :D

Thanks for the post. Basie’s fellas were so good and so tight.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who needs a friggin’ list(s)....this...and him....Mr. Payne is the deal. Others can goat to.....
He’s one of the few drummers who, when I have shown vids of his to, folks go holy crap. Especially any stick twirl wanna be...his Ol’ Man River solo...;)
bt

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seeing Sonny with Basie on the Jackie Gleason Show in around 1959 blew my 11 year old mind. Last week my big band did our first show in 13 months, a tribute of sorts to Basie, mainly because there was no chance to rehearse beforehand and we usually perform those tunes fairly well. I still play that music with Sonny in my head, trying to get as close as possible to his explosiveness and impeccable dynamics. His ability to go from very loud to whisper soft is a key to playing Basie.

We recently worked with a high school jazz band, playing a short concert with them, literally joining our band with theirs, and holding informal clinics with different sections. When I told the drummers that if they want to learn to play big band music they should listen to Count Basie, it was apparent they had no idea who that was. Sad.

Supernoodle

Reaction score

Watching this makes me wonder how he avoids the dreaded 'hihat going silent' problem: at one point you can see it: huge stomp... That makes it sure fire!