Sonor AQ2 Maple Martini Kit

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor AQ2 Maple Martini Kit $599 in white pearl.
I see that the price has come down on these kits a little, so I'm real close to pulling the trigger. Yes, I know what you're thinking..."WTH? A 14 inch friggin bass drum? That thing is a toy!" I hear ya, but I'm strictly going for the best sounding small and easy to transport/set-up kit I can find. Yes, I'm older than dirt, not nearly as fit as Mike Tyson, and I've been there - done that, with all size kits in all kinds of venues. I'm probably nuts for even thinking about it in these musical virus times, but I think I may have one more good run with a band in me before they tuck me in the clay. I'm talking small clubs, restaurants, cafes, etc. My days of huffing and puffing and doing a big ROCK production are behind me.
It was between the 14" BD kits - Odery CafeKit, the Tama Club Jam Flyer, and this one. Anyway....to my ears... this Sonor Maple Martini kit sounds way better than either of those or first run Sonor Martini kits which weren't maple. Even the 5x12 Sonor snare doesn't sound bad to my ears, but I'm basically a die-hard Acrolite player, so... I figure the worst I would have to do to get thse kit gig-worthy right off is replace the BD batter head. Does anyone even make specific 14" BD heads? Feel free to holler at me if you have any ideas on that. Later y'all.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned the original Martini. Not aware of a specific bass drum head like with a muffle ring or anything, but there is not much their to cut to begin with. To be honest, I could never get the bass drum to sound like I wanted and the 8 inch rack tom was not for me. I have heard some jazzers online get a great sound. Good luck.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned the original Martini. Not aware of a specific bass drum head like with a muffle ring or anything, but there is not much their to cut to begin with. To be honest, I could never get the bass drum to sound like I wanted and the 8 inch rack tom was not for me. I have heard some jazzers online get a great sound. Good luck.
The first Martini kit was 9 ply poplar shells. I've heard others say the same about the BD on the first run Martini kits. I've never really been a wood snob on drum kits myself, but these maple kits sound pretty good to me.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was a WMP Safari kit stacked (not set up), on the floor at the local GC. I looked it over. I think it was $699 for 4 drums and a 16" BD. Nice build quality for that price.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have zero problems with the Martini set, nice build , good sound but having said that, the Safari's bass drum (16 inch) is just surprisingly good. What is 2 inches among friends? :cool:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with an original basswood Safari Bd in natural, as the smallest.
Have only heard that the AQ2 is an improvement in many ways and WMP....

Last edited:

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the 1st Generation All Poplar Martini Kit with 14" Bass drum. No matter what heads I used, and I tried a lot- it still sounded like a toy. After all was said and done, I ended up using an Evans Red Hydraulic as the batter head. At the time, no head manufacturer made anything for a 14" bass drum, I don't know if that changed....I play Classic Country and Jazz/Blues. Several working drummers in my area who bought that kit, all sold theirs and me included.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best sounding small, portable kit is the Whitney nesting Penguin 16. I have owned so many small portable kits and nesting kits and the Whitney nesting Penguin 16 is by far the best sounding, most portable and lightweight of all. Not cheap, but it comes with the Quickframe, all the mounting hardware and a padded bag and blankets for the drums.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a like new Safari kit for $200 at GC used.....it just had to be done and I love that blue grey sparkle. With that said, there is nothing wrong with a 14" bass. My practice kit in my home office is an 8x10, 11x13 and 10x14 bass. Perfect little micro bop kit! Heads are a coated Amb reso and coated Emperor X batter with a homemade falam slam type patch. Punchy yet a little boomy, too......and could totally work in an acoustic jazz setting.

20200517_153711.jpg

Last edited:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I see that the price has come down on these kits a little, so I'm real close to pulling the trigger. Yes, I know what you're thinking..."WTH? A 14 inch friggin bass drum? That thing is a toy!" I hear ya, but I'm strictly going for the best sounding small and easy to transport/set-up kit I can find. Yes, I'm older than dirt, not nearly as fit as Mike Tyson, and I've been there - done that, with all size kits in all kinds of venues. I'm probably nuts for even thinking about it in these musical virus times, but I think I may have one more good run with a band in me before they tuck me in the clay. I'm talking small clubs, restaurants, cafes, etc. My days of huffing and puffing and doing a big ROCK production are behind me.
It was between the 14" BD kits - Odery CafeKit, the Tama Club Jam Flyer, and this one. Anyway....to my ears... this Sonor Maple Martini kit sounds way better than either of those or first run Sonor Martini kits which weren't maple. Even the 5x12 Sonor snare doesn't sound bad to my ears, but I'm basically a die-hard Acrolite player, so... I figure the worst I would have to do to get thse kit gig-worthy right off is replace the BD batter head. Does anyone even make specific 14" BD heads? Feel free to holler at me if you have any ideas on that. Later y'all.

If interested I will be listing my Martini kit for sale. Just haven’t posted yet. Turquoise sparkle w/snare and snare stand included for $300.00 plus shipping. Great shape.
It took a bit of dialing in with the bass drum but I think(and have got compliments)it sounds great. The whole kit actually sounds great and fun to play. I went w/a Evans Hydraulic(in blue! : ) batter. Dark picture but all I have at the moment.
F168D870-D17A-427C-9D61-A3F755BFB639.jpeg

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.

PS. Check this out as well if interested.