Sonor Ascent Series

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Just snagged a set of Sonor Ascent in bop sizes off craigslist, with the matching 5.5x14 snare. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but just taking the bass drum head off I'm super impressed by the build quality, the smoothness of the edges, study hardware... and the natural wrap looks fantastic. Especially considering they're made in China, and the stigma with all that. A little heavy, but they're small, so I can live with it.

I'll be pulling them out for a gig this weekend and can't wait to hear them in action. Anyone have these drums and play them?

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are great drums. They are made in China but with German beech. You can only get heavy beech with SQ2 today.

One downside. The lug casings can crack under high tension. Usually only a concern with the snare.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe these are discontinued drums but I,ve been told by many players they are exceptional!!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
They've been discontinued for a few years now. Sonor never seemed to figure out how to market them (so what else is new?). But as Frank Godiva said, they were excellent heavy German beech drums, including the snares, which came with diecast hoops. Frank, do you still have the Ascent snare you bought from me?

I've owned 3 sets at one time or another. All great.

1.jpg
20180323_172211.jpg
20170514_161732.jpg

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do, but it is pieces cause I switched out the lugs with a 3007 to avoid the issue below but have not put it back together

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
They've been discontinued for a few years now. Sonor never seemed to figure out how to market them (so what else is new?). But as Frank Godiva said, they were excellent heavy German beech drums, including the snares, which came with diecast hoops. Frank, do you still have the Ascent snare you bought from me?

I've owned 3 sets at one time or another. All great.

View attachment 429674 View attachment 429675 View attachment 429676
The ones I got are the second that you posted. When I saw them t first, the wood grain seemed so clean I thought it was a wrap and was blown away when I realized it was natural finish! Like I said, the quality of the edges, interiors, plies, and the die cast hoops on the 10 lug snare all surprised me. Probably people didn't assume this level of quality from Chinese manufactured drums and they didn't take off?

Really looking forward to playing them this weekend. Included were a 16"A Custom EFX, 16" K Custom Special Dark, and a 20" K Con medium thin low ride. And a Jojo Mayer Perfect Balance pedal with case. All for $1000... pretty happy with my deal!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
The ones I got are the second that you posted. When I saw them t first, the wood grain seemed so clean I thought it was a wrap and was blown away when I realized it was natural finish! Like I said, the quality of the edges, interiors, plies, and the die cast hoops on the 10 lug snare all surprised me. Probably people didn't assume this level of quality from Chinese manufactured drums and they didn't take off?

Really looking forward to playing them this weekend. Included were a 16"A Custom EFX, 16" K Custom Special Dark, and a 20" K Con medium thin low ride. And a Jojo Mayer Perfect Balance pedal with case. All for $1000... pretty happy with my deal!

Excellent deal! You did real well. They are great drums, and especially at that price!

I think Sonor wanted to position them between the entry-level Chinese Force Series and the German Prolites. But they just didn't really promote them at all, at least not here in the States. I know I took a pretty big bath when I sold the Ebony Stripe set, largely because no one knew what they were.

HionHiFi

Reaction score
I do, but it is pieces cause I switched out the lugs with a 3007 to avoid the issue below but have not put it back together

Hey Frank, I just picked up a 3 piece set of Sonor Ascents. Can you post where you bought the replacement lugs?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Frank, I just picked up a 3 piece set of Sonor Ascents. Can you post where you bought the replacement lugs?

If you are still looking for Ascent snare lugs, there are some available on eBay currently. I grabbed some last night for an Ascent snare I picked up that obviously had some lug issues repaired with what I suspect is some sort of epoxy repair.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score

sorry I missed this a while back
You don’t want replacement Ascent snare lugs. It’s a flawed design and they’ll just break again

you want to get the previous generation lug that can be found on a 3007, 2007, 1007, select force or SE snare.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pandemic project -- I just finished restoring this beech shelled beauty I bought used/cheap last year. 20/10/12/14/16 with a matching 14" snare. It was dingy and has some life marks on it, but shells were perfect, a lot of scuffs buffed out and it just needed some TLC. White cream lacquer hand buffed and I added a polish coat of ceramic auto glaze. Black chrome hardware fittings were in very good shape with some worn coating spots on a couple. I managed to track a few replacements down (still looking for a few more). New floor tom legs and tom holder. KHS was OEM for these kits so I bought an unmarked black chrome hex post holder from them and it fit like OEM down to the memory locks. New black lacquer maple BD hoops and black chrome diecast claws with rubber cushion backings from Drum Factory Direct in Pittsburgh, PA (great shop - highly recommend them). Tension rods got a dab of white lithium grease and toms got a fresh set of clear ambassadors on the reso and coated emperors on batters. UV1 EMAD on the kick, with EQ pillow and Kickport on reso. Kick has a solid thump and articulation, and the toms are fat and punchy. The snare is a sleeper - very nice for an upper mid-line snare - mellow, thick and warm backbeat with a coated amb. It has really nice sensitivity and response to rolls, and I may pick up a second one. It is not overly loud and no need to crank it up - soft feel under the hands. This is going to be a very good recording kit IMO. Not a flagship high-end kit - but Sonor had a very good pro-grade workhorse kit with this line. It was a bit late when I finished dialing it in, so I did not get a chance to really lay into them and put them through the paces. Looking forward to micing it up and giving it a workout today!

Sonor2.jpg
Sonor1.jpg

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my favorite drums, and yes, I know they were never top of the line but I don’t care. If I didn’t already have a couple of new kits on the way I’d snag the kit that @Frank Godiva listed above in a New York minute.

BUT @Snooter - a gentle word of warning with these drums is that the lugs can splay if you tune them really high, which a lot of folks tend to do with snare drums. Just an FYI.